Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Help with cold weather starting procedure

Default Help with cold weather starting procedure

I have an 80HP 912 and am wondering what most of you use for starting in cold weather, say 10-15 degrees. Primer and fuel enrichment circut? Primer only? Fuel enrichment circut only? Also what is best procedure for starting after flooding? I flooded my engine and could not clear it to start it.
    Kurt
    4-1050
    80hp
    Warpdrive
    Osceola, Wi.

Default Re: Help with cold weather starting procedure

Installed block/oil tank heater on my 912ULS last winter. Problems similar to yours fixed. Don't recall heater brand, there are several available.

I do preheat, my problem has been starting after doing so. If it doesn't start with fuel enrichment right away, I use one or two shots of primer and then sometimes it gets flooded and then it will not restart until I leave it sit for several hours!
    Kurt
    4-1050
    80hp
    Warpdrive
    Osceola, Wi.

I do not have a primer pump. I store the plane connected to a battery tender. (My battery is very small and needs all the help it can get to turn the motor as fast as possible.)

After adequate preheating, preflight checks, burping, etc., here is my procedure for my 912UL:

With the throttle CLOSED engage the enrichener circuit fully, crank the engine for a ~5 second burst.

The engine will usually start with no further process.

If it does not, but sputters a bit, I will advance the vernier throttle 1/4 turn engage the enrichener and try again for a ~5 second burst.

If it does not sputter, I repeat as set.

If the engine still has not started after three (3) tries, I assume flooding. (Fuel smell is usually present) To clear a flooding, I deactivate the enrichener, open the throttle fully (if you have separate ignition switches, turn them off) crank for ~5-10 second burst to clear the motor.

At this point I would repeat the process.

Realistically, though, it usually starts on the first cranking session.

I sometimes have to maintain enrichener engagement for a few seconds after the engine starts to keep it running. After a few seconds running on the enrichener, it will then run without.

(As soon as the daylight lasts a little longer, we will get together, Riverfox, I promise!)
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 12-22-2010 at 08:27 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Kurt,
    If it is cold (and yes on occasion it does get in the 20's here) I give it 2 shots of prime then leave the primer out.( don't have the starting carbs hooked up ) When it fires I press on the primer slowly injecting fuel as it is running at low rpm. I can generally keep it running that way.
    If flooded I go wide open throttle and crank the engine till it fires and then rapidly go throttle idle.
    This method usually works pretty good,
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Fl

I dont know what -5c is in Fahrenheit but at these kind of temps I do exactly what Av8r3400 suggests.

No throttle and enricher open, my 912s starts within 3 seconds of cranking.

And for Rotax 582...
    Hard for me primer on without gas and hard to initiate even with several fuel injection.

Last winter when I had my Mk 4 with a 582 I used to find that it would be hard to start whatever I did. I then put a new battery in and the starter motor spun it so much faster. After the new battery it would start easily and first whatever start procedure I used!! I think it is often under estimated how important a good starter speed is to get these machines going. If the battery is weak it doesn't matter what you do, you are massively reducing your chances of a successful start.

I know that the 582 won't initiate if there no minimum propeller revolution and i also changed my batterie and put a 19A/h so more than necessary and still problem but only in cold weather.