Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: main spar primer

Default main spar primer

I am nearing covering on my wings and noticed on a build site that the builder has primed the spars and drag anti drag tubes with epoxy primer. I can not find a section in my build manual about this procedure. I plan on using the Stewart system for gluing and painting but is it necessary to prime the spars etc. before covering?

Default Re: main spar primer

Kitfox doesn't say it is required on the spars, but it is suggested in high humidity areas(and if you plan on using floats) so it's up to you to decide, but if you're at the stage in building where it's easy enough to do I would definitely do it as it can't hurt.

The poly fiber epoxy primer is neccessary if using the poly fiber because of chemical compatibility issues but would also work with the Stewarts system. Stewarts has their own version of an epoxy primer for metal as well. It is also my understanding that with the Stewart system you could also just use regular old zinc chromate primer which is a much cheaper option.

Of course in any case ensure proper prep. If you look up "wing spars" there are several posts explaining corrosion protection.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 12-20-2010 at 07:38 AM.

The local repair shop has been using this primer for years. It was about half price of the poly fiber primer and you can get it at about any auto parts house that sells paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PolyFiber warns in the manual not to use anything but their product due to cchemical risks (I would've done the same if I were PolyFiber...)
    Have you thought of that? Or are you into chemicals (and can you help me with these same questions... Long live Internet)??

hansL

All I can say is that we have been using it for years, and it works fine. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, chances are its a duck.

I used both the PF and the Omni epoxies during my rebuild. They mix the same, thin the same and spray the same.

...and did you prime all framework? Or just the wings?

Just to clarify for GT280flyer. He is using the Stewarts system, so he is most likely fine with any primer he chooses.

If you are asking me, I primed about 90% of the fuse (the parts I had to replace or weld on), the new lift struts, new landing gear legs and the wings. On the fuse sand blasted all the tubes I replaced and then wiped the remaining powder coated sections down with acetone, then shot the primer over that. I had to brush on alot of the primer in the tail cluster because I could not get the spray gun in all the areas. It leveled out nice and did not look "brushed" on.

I confess, I'm presently covering the right wing and, before doing this, I primed the metal parts with white Poly-Fiber primer. In spite of it not being a brushable paint I applied it with a brush since none of the surfaces will be visible on the finished airplane. Spraying would require the worlds supply of masking tape. In Florida life is a continuous struggle against rust and corrosion. Painting the spars with primer is part of my obsessive struggle in this cause.

Question Re: main spar primer

I intend to prime the spars with sprayed on epoxy, but I have what may be a dumb question: Can I prime things first and then glue on the ribs? That is, will the Hysol stick well to the epoxy or am I required to glue to bare metal? Thanks.