Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: New to Kitfox and need HELP!

Default New to Kitfox and need HELP!

Morning,
    I just sold my certified airplane because it was getting too expensive to responsibly own. I am looking at experimentals in the < $17,000 range, and it looks like the kitfox 2 or 3 is a prime candidate, either a flying specimen or an almost-finished project. I need something that has decent STOL, can be fitted with floats, and can carry 400 lb worth of pilot and passenger when on floats and with enough gas to have fun. Do the kitfox 2/3s have what I need? How do they compare to the basic Avids? Is parts availability ever a problem since these birds aren't built anymore?

When shopping for these airplanes, is there anything special I need to look for? Any particular modifications, locations for corrosion, weak points, or other common problems?

Most of these have the Rotax 582. What is a typical price tag for part when doing the overhaul? Do most people abide by the 300 hr period or does the engine require it sooner/later?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Nic, from Georgia.

Default Re: New to Kitfox and need HELP!

Nick

Welcome !

Paul Zimmermann
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have around 300 hrs in a KF II on floats with 582. Depending on the day (calm winds and glassy waters, getting off the water with full wing tank and nose tank with 2 not so skinny guys (220+ each) could get interesting to say the least. Some days it was the diffence between having to make 2 trips to the duck shack cause I could not get on step with the added weight of the shots guns and ammo, decoys etc. with our two fat butts in there.

The 300 hr TBO is a CYA thing from rotax, however, alot has to do with how YOU run the engine. If you fly it often (atleast once a week to keep it lubed up good) and keep the engine operating within the parameters then there is no good reason why she wont go well beyond the 300 hrs. I know of many around here that have 1500-1800 on the same crank, the only thing done to the engines is new seals when the leak check shows a leaker.

Focusing in on the rotax 582, what you you all typically spend on an overhaul? Those of you who do it yourself, how long do you normally spend? Lastly, what is normal fuel consumption? Thanks!

if you are going to go "by the book" figure around 2500 for an OH. In one day you can pull the engine, complete rebuild if the cylinders dont need anything more than a quick honing and have it ready to put back in the next morning. I have had them off, torn down, rebuilt and back on in one long day.

I figure 5 to 5.5 GPH for my normal trips.

Nick

I would recommend gicking a lot of tires, and look closely at the registration of the aircraft.

Paul Zimm
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Kicking not guicking - Man I can't type! How I got a g versus a k I have no clue!!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul, I thought "gicking the tires" was an Aggie term.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

AgFlyer
    No that would be Gig'ingtires! Merry Christmas I hope the uear goes well for you!

Paul z
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas