Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Primer

Default Primer

I'm looking for a good brush-on type primer to get parts ready for assembly. I would guess I need an epoxy type primer and would like to find one that is about the same color as the white power coat that KF uses.
    Can anyone point me to a good source? I'm interested in a quart or less.

Default Re: Primer

ive used the polyfiber epoxy primer with good success on the fiberglass and flaperons . but ive just sprayed it . it is a little expensive , i think , by the time you get the primer , catalyst , and thinner , but ive never bought any other similar stuff . as for color , its white or green from polyfiber . my powdercoat is black so i dont know what the white powdercoat is like
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I agree with Chuck - The Polyfiber epoxy primer is great; however, I would recommend against brushing it on - you can end up with a phenomena called "crawl" - in plan english - it sort of draws into little clumps when wet and thick - in less common tech talk - the cohesive forces (sticks to itself) of the epoxy are greater than its adhesive forces (sticks to other stuff) in the liquid state unless the coating is very uniform and applied in a thin enough coat - like with a spray application - I would recommend spraying the epoxy on. Just the nature of the beast. Yeah, you can ask how I know this but you have probably already guessed!

If you have the white powdercoat - the color of the white polyfiber epoxy is pretty close - but sort of a semigloss appearance so it is less shiny than the powdercoat.

If a person does not want to spray - a little experimenting with various white enamels from the hardware store might not be a bad way to go - they will be shinier on drying than the epoxy.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear

I use the Stewarts System EkoPrime. It's seems to be very durable and will stick to nearly any surface. Advantage to thin, just mix with distilled water, meaning you don't have to mix catalyst. If you mix too much, just pour it back into the can when done. No waste. I have sprayed and brushed with no problems. For small parts, a Preval sprayer works very well.
    Last edited by sdemeyer; 12-19-2010 at 08:57 AM.