Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Happy Kitty Hawk Day!

Default Happy Kitty Hawk Day!

Today marks the 107th anniversary of the original home-builders' first successful attempt at an equal number of takeoffs and landings: History reportedly (plus or minus 3 Harris Poll percentage points) records that they were successful. Gauging from the sheer scale of happy, active, interactive, mutually-supportive participation on this wonderfully thought-out website, (thank you Desert Fox 4!) I'd say "The Boys" who first defined "The Wright Stuff" succeeded beyond even THEIR widest dreams. If you were unable to do so today, try to put some air under your seat-cushion inhaler this weekend...and spare a moment of cross-check time while you do, to think a kind thought of the talented brothers who paved the way for the rest of us. But never forget; at the end of that momentous day, 107 years go, "The Boys" machine was a pile of junk! Take THAT lesson for everything it's worth and try NOT to repeat it!!

"E.T."

Default Re: Happy Kitty Hawk Day!

A momentous day indeed. 107 short years ago man changed the way he thought about himself forever. Thanks Orville and Wilbur. As soon as I shed this nasty cold I caught in a blizzard in Minnesota last week I will celebrate the occasion with a Kitfox flight hopefully to end in a better final result than "the boys".

"The Wright Stuff". I like it.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Happy Kitty Hawk Day!

For "The Rest of the Story" on yesterday's date in history, I should also point out that it was ALSO the 75th anniversary of the DC-3's first flight! Just compare the design of the Wright Flier to what flew only 32 years later, to the day, and you'll have an inkling of how far "The Boys'" science project (aeronautics) had come in such a short time.

Of course, adding another 32 years to history saw the advent of the Saturn V, with a lunar landing less than two years later. And then humankind would struggle with the mechanics of aeronautica another 24 years before the next great development in aerospace history came along: the Kitfox!

So, for appropriate commemoration of the DC-3s anniversary, we single engine members of this pioneering EAA enterprise should celebrate with TWO sorties!

"E.T."