Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Flight(s)

Default First Flight(s)

I’m up and flying my Super Sport after 3 years of building. I always wanted the round bump cowl, but it isn’t really available for the Super Sport, so I had to adapt one myself. Phil Laker graciously agreed to use my plane as the experiment. He donated an old Skystar Series V round cowl with the integrated boot cowl. I wanted a separate boot cowl, like the SS typically has, so I cut off the existing boot and tossed it. Despite the special motor mount that John McBean made that was 2 inches shorter than normal, I still had significant issues.

I started with the stock boot cowl for the SS and attached it to the airframe. This allowed the remaining round cowl halves to be crude fitted around the engine. However, the newer design engine mounts are quite a bit higher then in the past, so I knew a centered propeller would not be possible. To make matters worse, to avoid an “upturned” nose I had to now cut off the bump cowl halves, then move them together up about 1.5 inches, then re-fiberglass. This left the issue of airflow to the radiator, which I’ll get to momentarily.

The paint is Polytone, except for the fiberglass and metal parts, which are Aerothane.
    No regrets on the polytone. Prop is the IVO ground adjustable medium. The engine is the 912S. I weighed in empty at 765lbs.

I fashioned my own radiator intake scoop from miscellaneous donor parts, but I was really just guessing as to design. I wish I had done more research first. The vent looked more than adequate to pull in lots of air, but I continually overheated. In fact, on my first flight it boiled over at 280 cht as soon as I hit pattern altitude. It was a short flight. I finally determined that the airflow was simply flowing over the opening, and not into it, especially in level flight.

So I began fashioning bits of aluminum into a variety of scoop shapes, trying to induce air flow. I finally got a design that is functional, but draggy and unattractive, so at some point in the future, I’ll have to do some more fiberglassing.

Some things I’ve noticed about handling. The plane flies hands-off, with no noticeable heavy wing. That was a relief. It climbs at 1300 fpm with light tanks. My cruise seems way too (like 90mph) slow, but I do have a lot of drag issues that have yet to be resolved. I also seem to need every inch of up-trim in order to land with one notch of flaps. And a 65mph approach seems to yield a significant sink rate. All to be worked out in the future.

Tucsonchris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: First Flight(s)

Congrats, looks beautiful, nice job on the weight.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Man thats a nice looking ride, good job. Randy

Nicely done Chris...great looking bird! Keep us posted on the stats.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Question No round cowl?

So I recently placed an order for a super sport and was told the round cowl is available but not as fully engineered as the smooth cowl. So is this not quite the case? I was told it would be a more difficult install but they took my order for it. Any info would be appreciated.

Not sure what the current status is on the round cowl, as my original order was 3 years ago, but I have no doubt Kitfox will be able to guide you through whatever you need to to do to reach your goal. Remember, we're in the "experimental" category! I'd be glad to help if you have any questions.

Tucsonchris

Very nice looking airplane -

Are you flying out of Marania Air Park??

I grew up in Tucson and many many years ago worked as a lineboy at what used to be Avra Valley Airport - now renamed Marania airpark.

What a great place to fly out of and have an airplane.

Rodney

Yes, its now called Marana Regional. Used to be Avra Valley years ago. It's way in the middle of farmland and desert. Lot's of hangar space too!

Quote Originally Posted by tucsonchris View Post
    I always wanted the round bump cowl, but it isn’t really available for the Super Sport, so I had to adapt one myself. I wanted a separate boot cowl, like the SS typically has, so I cut off the existing boot and tossed it.
    Tucsonchris
    Maybe this will help to clear up the round cowling on the SS.

Chris wanted to have the boot cowling setup and the round cowl.. while the round cowling is still available for the SS and we have sold a few of them it was never design to utilize the boot cowling. It is more "traditional" Kitfox with a top and bottom cowling that goes from the prop flange to the windshield... The attached pic shows the current round cowling.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jdmcbean; 12-14-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

John,

Thanks for the clarification. That red plane is my inspiration for choosing the round cowl, so all is well. That is one sweet looking plane!