Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hudson River 2008 Part 1

Default Hudson River 2008 Part 1

In the summer of 2008 on my sort of annual East Coast tour I had flown into North Jersey to visit my Uncle for a bit at Lincoln Park (N07). After visiting, catching up and getting a great lunch at an on-field resturaunt I started to get ready to fly back to South Jersey to visit my brother in Millville (MIV). Looking at the charts it hit me how close NYC is and the Hudson River VFR route. I had seen a website a few months prior that described flying down the river right through NYC.
    http://www.germaise.com/interests/aviation_flyinghudson1.htm
    It was right there only a few miles away, the skies were clear, the haze wasn't too bad, why not give it a try. I wandered into the FBO to ask them about any local knowledge on flying it. The lady at the counter talked about the low ceiling you must observe and the traffic pattern and callouts that are given as was metioned at the website I had read. The one thing we checked was whether the Giants had a game going at their home field. At that time they would throw up a TFR during the games. We checked the Giants schedule and sure enough they had a game late in the afternoon. So a call to Flight Service was made. The person I talked to was not aware of any TFR down the river corridor. I mentioned the Giants game and he wasn't even aware that they put up TFRs. So since the calls are recorded I made sure he distinctly said no TFRs during your planned timeframe of heading down the river. With that out of the way I preflighted and donned my skier life vest that I carry whenever I am doing significant water crossings. ( Earlier on my trip I had crossed some water called the Chesapeke Bay.) From the web article apparantly once your on the river and getting downtown there's no where to land and most likely you will be going swimming if you have an engine out. So with that thought in the back of my mind I decided to set off. I planned to fly the river from North to South.

So from Lincoln Park I departed to the northeast to pick up the Hudson River a little south of Stony Point. The visibility was pretty good, after flying on the east coast the last week I was starting to get used to the relatively low vis compared to typical 50mi plus in Colorado. The following photos are from my trip down the Hudson:

The first thing that suprised me was the dramatic cliffs that are about 300 - 400 feet high as I set up to fly along the west side of the river :

First up was the Tappan Zee bridge in the distant haze. That sort of marks the edge of controlled airspace cielings that are dropping as I proceed, at the bridge you are under LaGuardia airspace with a 3000ft.;

As I cross the Tappan Zee I make the call "White and Blue Kitfox southbound at the Tappan Zee". So far I haven't heard any radio traffic callouts on the corridor frequency so I double check the radio settings:

Last edited by fly3g; 12-09-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Default Re: Hudson River 2008 Part 2

As I head south things on the east side of the river start looking a bit busier around Yonkers. I start dropping altitude to about 900 feet to make sure I will be under the 1300 foot corridor ceiling:

Up ahead next is Tenafly and the George Washington Bridge. Things are starting to look a little more interesting:

I am getting a little lower and the cliffs to my right start giving me a bit of the "canyon feel". The building on top of the Englewood cliff are businesses one being CNBC:

Next up the GW bridge. It's one of those suspension types. I quickly looked at the charts and notice the towers are at 624 feet. Hmmm:

Makes for an interesting overfly, nice being up here and not in the hot traffic below:

Default Re: Hudson River 2008 Part 3

By now the visibility has strangely improved and I can start seeing NYC proper in the distance:

Riverbank State Park:

Now Manhattan is showing up on my left, Central Park is hidden by the buildings :

And on the Jersey side Fairview and the Pallisades Med Center:

Default Re: Hudson River 2008 Part 4

Now not being much of city person and never being to NYC before I started looking for the landmark - The Empire State Building. I also was looking for the next position callout point which was the Intrepid aircraft carrier.

Score the Empire State Building but where's the Intrepid? Supposed to be docked at one of these piers. Found out later it had been moved temporarily for some refurb, bummer. But I called it anyway "White and Blue Kitfox southbound across from where the Intrepid is supposed to be". A guy flying a helicopter chuckles back and says he sees me. He is going to be crossing over from the NYC side ahead of me. The NYC side is looking really really busy now.

Another shot of the Empire. The Lincoln Tunnel crosses over just between the two piers:

A look to the right is Weehauken:

A quick thought hits me about engine out, might be able to hit the parking lot but more likely a feet wet situation now, knock twice on the plywood floor of the Kitfox.

I can kind of see the river opening up ahead. Towards my next landmark the Statue of Libety:

The Hoboken Terminal goes by on the right:

And the Holland Tunnel entrance to the left:

Holland Tunnel Jersey side, looks like some expensive apartment rent over there:

Last edited by fly3g; 12-10-2010 at 07:51 AM.

Default Re: Hudson River 2008 Part 5

At this point I realize I am across from a point where there should be two very large buildings. I never saw them for real but you feel something in your gut knowing what was there and what happened.

The World Finance Center:

I change thoughts and make the call that the Kitfox had passed the Holland Tunnel southbound. The radio traffic has picked up with what seems like quite a few sightseeing helicopters flying about.

Next up is the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island:

It seems unreal how close you get to fly to these locations:

Now I am finally getting clear of the city but the control ceilings are still low, the Verazzano Narrows is up ahead:

A look the chart says these towers are at 693 feet:

Yep my altimeter agrees:

From there I climb south across Lower Bay for the last 10 miles to Sandy Hook NJ and as I cross over to shore I relax a bit knowing I could land here no sweat:

It was a memorable experience and I highly reccomend it. I believe there may have been some minor changes to procedures due to the helicopter / airplane accident in 2009 but I am pretty sure it's still VFR flyable.
    Last edited by fly3g; 12-09-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Default Re: Hudson River 2008 Part 1

Stunning! I have always wanted to fly the HR corridor and you kept me up late last night as the pics were being posted. Each and every one provides a unique perspective to the 'Big Apple' that few are privileged to see. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. Holiday Cheer to you!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Nice pics. Good to see there are still some places on the East side of the US that are still open to VFR flying.

Dick B

Wow, what a great "photo essay" flew part of this 20 years ago now I am itching to do it again, perhaps on my way to Sun n Fun.
    Beautiful pics, thanks for posting them.
    Last edited by Dorsal; 12-11-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive