Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Converting Day VFR to Night VFR

Default Converting Day VFR to Night VFR

I own a KF IV 1200 speedster(912ul) which I did not build. It has wingtip strobes only and I am considering adding the equip necessary for night vfr. My first question is what paperwork/legal issues are there? Second, any suggestions for the position, landing, and interior lights would be appreciated. I don't think I would want to add the external alternator.
    Thanks, Paul Perry

Default Re: Converting Day VFR to Night VFR

Paul, check your plane's operating limitations. There will be a paragraph in there that tells you what you need to do when making a change to your airplane.

My opinion is that adding night VFR required equipment is not a major change so no paper work is required.

Here's a link to a webenar that explains the rules governing what you want to do. Its about an hour and a half long but you can watch part and return to where you left off later if it gets too long . "Owning and flying a homebuilt, what you need to know", Dec. 3, 2010.
    http://www.eaavideo.org/channel.aspx?ch=ch_webinars
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Default Re: Converting Day VFR to Night VFR

Thanks for the reply, Tom. I've been checking options for the hardware I will need and have looked at the Aveo Power Burst, Aveo Flash LSA, Whelen Micro Burst, and Kuntzleman Streamline Combo, so if anyone out there has one of the above, I would appreciate some first hand information. Thanks, Paul Perry KF IV Speedster 912UL