Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: brake lines II

Post brake lines II

by the way: did you guys & dolls use any sealant between brakeline hardware & grove like Locktite of Teflon tape? I don t know how agressive these brake fluids are...

Default Re: brake lines II

I used Permatex thread sealant, I think I remember reading not to use teftape.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Hi Hans,

Dorsal is absolutely correct - teflon tape is be avoided since it is real easy to get small particles broken loose when the threads are screwed together to later cause trouble somewhere else in the system.

The brake fluid - at least the stuff in the US for aircraft, behaves not all that differently from automobile automatic transmission fluid - it is even the same color.

I used Permatex High Tack Gasket sealant 98H - their item number 80062 - it is compatible with the application and does not dissolve in gasoline, oils, transmission fluid, brake fluid, glycols. It tends to stay where you put it. For clean up with this stuff I needed to use either lacquer thinner or MEK (methyl ethyl ketone).

I am pretty sure that there are other products out there which work equally well - a person just wants to be careful and not to get particles loose in the system on assembly.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

Thanks guys, wonderful forum this is!!
    I bought a bottle of Permatex for almost nothing!!
    See how it works...