Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 914turbo

Default 914turbo

Looking for info on how well the 914 turbo runs has any unusal problems like heating etc.

Default Re: 914turbo

I operate a 914 on a kitfox 6-7. The maintainence is similar to the other Rotax 9xx engines in respect to the fluids and intervals. The turbo engine also shares max engine rpm and max continuious rpm with the other engines. TBO is 1200 hrs compared to 1500-2000??? for the 912 and 912s.

That being said, it does have a couple other systems to monitor aside from the obvious one, the turbo. The fuel system consists of 2 electric fuel pumps with no mechanical pump at all. This will play into your panel planning because you'll want to minimize electric loads in the event of a charging system failure so you can use your remaing battery power to run the pumps until you can get on the ground. On the subject of fuel, you'll also want to monitor fuel pressure and airbox pressure simultaneously because in an overboost situation you could cut the fuel to the engine. The engine is best suited for a constant speed or cockpit adjustable prop to control any overspeed of the engine at full boost pressure and to make the most of the sea level pressure and engine horsepower maintained at higher altitudes.

As far as temps are concerned, using the Kitfox supplied oil cooler mounted right over the water radiator, I've had zero cooling issues in temps from 30F to 90F. In fact I often put a couple strips of duct tape over the cooler when temps drop below about 60 just to keep the temps up. There is an oil thermostat laying on my work bench that I can't seem to find time to install.

After that long winded response I'd also like to say if I were to build again, a 912s would be the engine I would choose. If you fly mostly in high and hot conditions the 914 may be a good option. I'd also use just a couple simple steam gauges rather than the electronic efis/ems system.

Still open to a trade for a 912s...........
    Kevin

Thanks for the honest info I guess its pretty hard to beat the 912s ,it's always cool around this country summer time 50f to 80 max in temp so it should preform good up here.Thanks if you are up this way stop in.
    Rick

I fly in the northern area of Alberta Can. and Northwest territories.and am building a kitfox 7 will pick up kit Jan.2011 great fishing up here.

Hi Kevin thanks for inf could you tell me what the differance between 914 turbo verses 912s install on fox (7) weight between engines
    Rick

Hi Paul,
    Sorry for the long delay. If you have no plans to fly high I would stick to the 912s. For just floating around, the added systems may not be worth it. I'll be switching to a 912s this winter so by spring time we should have some comparison information. No question the 914 is a rocket off the water at 39 inches of manifold pressure. With the current floats it doesn't even get on step first, it just flys off the water.

As far as floats go, the czech 1650's were very sturdy amphibs but a little heavy. We found the extra weight was a large penalty to pay for flying off the water 90% of the time so we went back to straight floats. Baumann 1420's. They have been very fast off the water and handle quite well in rough water with the fluted bottoms. The 1500's would be even better but more difficult to find on the used market. Probably one more season on the straight floats then maybe the baumann 1500 amphibs. With the lightweight of the Kitfox, the 912s should perform just fine.

Here are some numbers just for reference: Kitfox 7 rotax 914 turbo (mine)
    Czech 1650's (amphibs) 1174 lbs empty
    Baumann 1420's (straight) 944 lbs empty
    Baumann 1500's (straight) 940 lbs empty (estimate)
    Baumann 1500's (amphib) 1070 lbs empty (estimate)

The 1420's are a whole bay longer than the 1500's. The new zenair amphibs look pretty interesting and the price seems reasonable too. There is a guy in Minnesota who has them installed on his just highlander and seems to like them pretty well.

Hope it helps
    Kevin

If I remember correctly the 914 is about 20lbs heavier.
    Kevin