Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine Mount

Question Engine Mount

Hi Kitfoxers
    dose the side rail engine mount reduce vibration on 582.Have any of you gents fitted one on a Mk 2 and got good result

Fred

Default Re: Engine Mount

would be interested on answers too like my KF2 have a 582 Gray one with old engine mount and shake me under 2500 rpm...

Me too. Always interested in reducing vibration for safety and longevity. I wonder if someone has actually tried both types of mounts for the 582 and can give an honest opinion. My guess would be that by placing the attach points for the engine mount further up along the sides of the engine casing, they're closer to the center of rotation of the crankshaft and presumably subject to less of the vibration created by same.

BTW, if any of you guys swapped out your 582 for a 912 or Jabiru or something and the old mount (new style) is just laying around, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
    Chris Carlisle
    Model 2, 582, C box
    Sioux Falls, SD

Hi Chris &GDN
    Looks like no one has done this eng.mount mod,maybe there is more than a straight exchange to consider,(cowell mounting etc.).Like you said Chris,someone will have changed engine type and there will be one out there somewhere in USA.Hope one turns up for you.

Fred

I have heard of folks who've done it but no one really comments about the vibration afterward. As I recall, the only other mod that's necessary involves tapping the hole on the left front of the casing to accommodate the new lord mount. Otherwise, everything lines up pretty well. In any case, I'd be willing to make whatever changes are necessary to try it.

Chris

Hi guys, my Kitfox III originally came with the flat plate mount but was changed to thew side rail mount, I did not build the plane but purchased it with 19 hrs TT. I did ask the previous owner and he seemed to think there was less vibration with the side rail mount. The cowl would require minor if any mods. It only makes sense that there would be less vibs as the engine sits approx 3" lower thus making a shorter arm for any rocking motion. I have since converted my plane to the HKS engine and sold both the 582 and the engine mount.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Lightbulb Re: Engine Mount

Hi Guys
    I have been fortunate to locate a siderail mount from a well respected Kitfox builder-Flyer, here in UK.He is well known for his building/repairing etc.,and tells me it is a worthwhile mod.
    Another question now,do any of you gents run a 68"IVO on a 582 grey head with a 3.47 -1,C type g/box,if so,is it a good combination.
    Thanks