Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Model 2/3/4 struts

Default Model 2/3/4 struts

I've never really been satisfied in explanations about the structural differences between my Model 2 (ser# 707) and subsequent models. Factory says mine is actually a kind of 2 1/2, with larger diam carry through tubes on spars and gear and also with extra diagonal tubing welded along the frame where the bungee's attach.

I also remember something about how they increased subsequent gross weights by making the struts out of larger diameter, thicker walled tubing and attaching them further out along the spars but nobody seems to know how much larger or how much further.

So, could someone with a model 3 and also a 4 take the time to measure the diameter of their strut tubing and also the length from the attach bolt on the fuselage weldment behind the the seat to the attach bolt on the front spar bracket?

Thanks,
    Chris Carlisle
    Model 2, 582, C box
    Sioux Falls, SD

Default Re: Model 2/3/4 struts

Perhaps this will help (note: pgs 2 and 3 are reversed).
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks dHolly. That's more than I've ever seen re. specific information on the differences in the model #'s. I'm still wondering if someone can tell me how long their Model 3 wing strut is.

Chris

M3 =
    (f) ~108"
    (r) ~105"
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Thanks again. My front struts are 99 inches so indeed the M3's are placed farther out along the wing. Also, I measured my carry through tubes and they are Model 2 spec so I guess mine is a thoroughbred 2 after all.

Oh well. So much for increasing my gross weight. Guess even if I went to full up model 3 wings there's still be some weak points that would negate any increased strength.

Chris