Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Inexpensive trim for those using flaperons

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Inexpensive trim for those using flaperons

Tired of hold forward stick pressure for those of you that have only the flaperons for pitch and losing that 5-8 mph? Having sailed catamarans I got the idea to use "Harkin brand" sailing pulleys and a "Harkin" mini cam cleat and a 12" length of approx 5/16" bunge material and apiece of high quality 3/16 sailing line. All the items can be gotten at a sailing shop or on line.You'll have to play with the exact length and thickness of the bunge but with a little trial and error you can trim your plane at MAX cruise and still be able to easily overide it with stick pressure alone. However with the mini cam cleat you merely have to pull down to disengage the whole trim. The neat thing about the cam cleat is that once at cruise and the rope engaged to the cleat you can just pull the rope through the cleat until you've cancelled the stick pressure. This will only eliminate the aft stick pressure from cruise speeds, however I find find that is when I need the trim the most. See the attached photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kurt
    4-1050
    80hp
    Warpdrive
    Osceola, Wi.