Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Groove gear

Default Groove gear

Hello

Does anyone have experience with repairing a bent groove gear?

Default Re: Groove gear

Grove Gear...

Contact Grove... If they are bent and not twisted Grove can usually straighten them, re-bend and treat them.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

John is right on with this one.

With the alloy these gear are made of, re-heat treating them is critical to regaining the strength lost in the bend. Just bending them back straight will leave a weak spot that could be prone to failure if bent or shocked again.

Was this gear bent on a Kitfox? Was there any other damage? I'm just curious on this point because my rebuilding project has been retrofitted with Grove gear and I would be interested to know if any reinforcing is needed while I have the plane apart...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

My Kitfox IV has a slightly tweaked gear on the pilot side when I bought it. It has flown OK but I figured I would get it resprung this winter to save any further damage to it. I contacted Grove, they had me check the serial number. My last two numbers were 24 which they said indicated it is and older gear using 2024 aluminum (new ones use 7074). They said that they don't respring the 2024 gears because it is cheaper to buy an new one. Cost would be $900+ to reheat treat. I don't understand their math, to me $900 is cheaper than $1650, but they weren't interested in doing it. Think I will look at the new taller rough country gear.