Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Skis are you using ?

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Question What Skis are you using ?

Hi, I am looking at putting some wheel skis on my Series 5 taildragger. I was wondering what you all have and the likes and dislikes of your setups ? Thanks Kevin

Default Re: What Skis are you using ?

Kevin, I am using Datumair wheel skis and I love them. They always seem to be at the centre of attention on ski fly-ins. Check out their webside they have a video and a number of installation pictures - including mine.
    Ron

I got mine from Brett at Airdale.

He can make them to your specifications if need be. I am not running super huge tires, so mine are only 12" wide. He is currently working on a kit to fit the Grove style gear common on the later Avids and Kitfoxes.

For the snow conditions we have here in Wisconsin, they work good. If my tires didn't have the knobs on them they would work better yet. Plenty of flotation for deep snow with only a very small (5-10 mph) speed penalty. I do most of my ski flying onto snow covered lakes and grass strips that I frequent in the summer.

Last edited by Av8r3400; 11-10-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thumbs up Re: What Skis are you using ?

Hi guys , thanks for the replies . I am looking at the datum air, there are a couple things on them i'm not too sure about. one is the electric actuator and do you really need the wheels to " retract" , second I am not real crazy about the skis moving forward in the wheels mode, they look like they go forward a long ways , and finally the rigging to the cowling area looks a little awkward , probably needed so to pull ski tip up when in wheels down mode, with it being forward. These things aside the datum air are still in the running. I have also looked at the trick air, I like their simplicity but don't like their price. I am also looking at the Summit skis's that are sponsors of this site, Mike the main man is away and I will get some more info from him when he returns. Kevin

I have a pair of straight skis that I purchased from Harrison Designs (landshorter.com). They are one-offs, but work well on my IV. I normally give airplane rides from the house here on Thanksgiving, but today it is snowy too had to get around the patch. I might spend the afternoon installing my skis if I am not weighted down by too much turkey.

I hope to fly an Aerocet float equipped super cub into my strip tomorrow or saturday, now that I have enough snow. It'll go in the hangar for a annual and avionics upgrade.

Happy Thanksgiving,
    Kelly

They aren't wheel skis, but here is the skis I use on my Avid MK IV. I've built 7 sets if I remember right with this same design (something I dreamed up) for different planes for myself and friends. They seem to work just fine if you don't need to land on pavement durring the winter. I have my own small strip so from end of November till sometime in April, these are on my plane. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Jim,
    just in the process of fixing up an old set of skis to put on our kitfox.What are you using for the plastic on the bottom of your skis and do you put some sort of ridge down the center of the bottom of the ski for tracking straight?Also what thickness are you using? thanks Willis

Hi Willis, The plastic is UHMW and is very slippery on snow and ice. I bought a 4X10 sheet recently for some more sets that I'm building. If you don't need pieces longer than 4' 4" I'll have some left over. Two of my friends needed some that was 5' 8" long and those were cut out of this sheet. My skis use 5' long pieces so I get 2 out of one 10' long piece. The UHMW I use is 3/16" thick. I do have an 18" X 1 1/2" X 1/4" UHMW runner down the middle of the ski to help with steering. Without the runner the skis will slide sideways when you try to turn. Take care, Jim Chuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi, I ordered a pair of wheel skis from Summit Aircraft Skis, I'm hoping for them to be here in the next couple of weeks. we have a good foot of snow here, so it's time for skis! Kevin

OK; things are getting serious here!
    We now have 17" of snow here. I think the weather is going to break a bit tomorrow. I have the skis on and I am just waiting for some viz.

Tomorrow could be the day!