Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting a new dress on an old maid....

Default Putting a new dress on an old maid....

I bought a project from a guy, that bought it from a guy, that bought it from the fellow that wrecked it. I finally get some evenings to myself and have started the process of re-covering my Kitfox II. She had been starved of fuel and landed in the desesert kind of hard. It broke a bungee which led to a ground loop in the brush I heard.
    I brought the fusealage into work(I do airplane maintenance at a small FBO) and me and the I/A replaced 1 tube and scarfed another.
    Now I have it home and on the rotissiery(SP?) and will start covering her this week.
    I'll try to keep a rolling log with pictures here, so if anyone is interested in watching an old hag get new dress on, they can.....
    The first photo shows it loaded and on her way home from southern Az. to East Central SD. It was about 1600mi one way!
    Aaron
    lilkitfx.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6583.jpg

IMG_6587.jpg

Default Re: Putting a new dress on an old maid....

got yourself a pretty good project . the gas tank arrangement is interesting . not that it would make much difference but i think id rather have the gas in the wings instead of in my lap .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Aaron, it will be great to follow you on your project. Thanks for the B-4 pictures. Have fun with it.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Here's this evenings progress. I was only planning on covering the bottom, but it went so well I just got on the pilot's side as well.
    I got in the shop around 5pm, and worked until 10:30PM.
    My very sweet wife brought my supper out to me and ate in the shop with me, so that barely got in the way.
    I always forget how much fun it is to cover!
    IMG_6590.jpg

IMG_6592.jpg

IMG_6595.jpg

Aaron, looking good! Its a big job, but enjoyable.

Thanks for the encourgement Scott! It is a project for sure!!!
    The really fun thing about covering though is that every day you are able to see progress before you shut off the lights.

I got another evening in the shop tonight. 5pm-10pm with a break to put kids to bed and now I'm ready for trim tapes!

My 9yr old son Bo wanted to help me and I couldn't resist getting him in a picture and on the forum!

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6600.jpg

IMG_6607.jpg

IMG_6602.jpg

Well, a little more progress tonight. After using the Stewarts System on the Taylorcraft last winter, I forgot just how strong the Poly Fiber chemical smells are.

5:30pm-10pm tonight and the 1st coat of poly-brush is on. Also got a bit of the trim tape on. I'll have another night just finishing the tapes and gussets I bet.

I likely won't have time again until Monday evening. I have a busy weekend ahead.

IMG_6608.jpg

IMG_6609.jpg

Thank you for posting Fox... despite all the KF builds out there... very very little blogging re construction, so I for one very much appreciate you taking the time to post your progress... Andrew
    NOKITFOXYET

Well, my weekend did not go as planned.
    But on the plus side, I was able to throw another 10hrs at the kitfox today because of it!

All that time was spent on trim tapes and gussets. I forgot how tedious that is trying to make sure there are no gaps between the tape and all the protrusion! I only have the tailpost up the back of the vertical stab left. I just didn't feel like taking it off the swivel tonight.
    So just one 4' piece of tape, and it is trimmed out!

I will be away again now until tuesday night
    IMG_6613.jpg

IMG_6616.jpg

IMG_6618.jpg

Wow Aaron, your moving right along! Looking great! You mentioned using Stewarts Systems on a prior project and I am curiious why you switched to Polyfiber on the KF. Was there something you did not like about Stewarts?