Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Putting a new dress on an old maid....

Default Re: Putting a new dress on an old maid....

Great question, Scott. I was going to ask the same thing...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The biggest reason I went back to Poly-fiber on this one is that I'm pressed for time on it. I know the system well and don't have to spend time studying it.
    It had been a couple of years since my last recover with Poly-fiber, and I really forgot how powerful the chemicals are.
    The very first covering job I did was on a Kolb Firefly. Kolb recommended the poly-fiber, so thats what I got. I had no one to teach me how to cover, so I read the manual and figured it out just as many others have done. I was very happy with the results, and it was not difficult.
    First love so to speak!
    When using the Stewarts system last winter on the T-craft, there was a bit of a learning curve that slowed me down. I wasn't able to just breeze though it step by step as the instruction was on 6 DVD's(very, very good by the way), just time consuming. I couldn't flip the page back to re-read and absorb it.
    Now looking back to last winter, I have decided to go back to the Stewarts System on the next project. That should be later this winter, so I will know for sure which one I prefer.
    I now think that on the second or third covering job with the Stewarts, it would go just as fast if not faster than poly-fiber.
    And like the Millers, Stewarts service is great! Phone calls don't seem to bother them, even if they get 3 in one day!
    Aaron

Okay, after today, I'm definately leaning towards Stewarts as my system of choice.
    As recommended by the poly-fiber manual, I went over every square inch of this fuse heat smoothing the imperfections before my spray coats of poly-brush. I got what I thought was all the pinked ears down, as this was the last good chance to take care of them.

Then I sprayed my first coat of poly-spray, and some more corners peeled up. Normal, according to the manual, so I carefully ironed them down again. I also noticed pinholes on one tape were I didn't not get enough poly-brush when I applied it. I addressed it and sprayed my second coat. The same pinholes came back, or likely they never went away. I try to address that one again. More ears up around the in various places, and it's getting harder to get them down without smudging the poly-brush. Remember, I did go over every tape, one side at a time before spraying. Again, the manual says this happens, so no big deal.

After it has time to set up good, I apply my first coat of poly-spray(silver). Now I am not happy with my heat smoothing job of before. It seams as half of the pinked edges are fraying and all these little threads are reaching straight up! So, I look in the manual and it says "Truth Time! That first coat of Poly-Spray will reveal all your sins." There is more instruction on addressing it in this section of the manual, along with after the second cross coat.

I have at best a couple of hours making it all good before my next cross coat. I have never had this problem before, but just last week I was telling a friend about my covering project and he said "The part I hate about using poly-fiber is getting all those tapes to lay down...." Wow, I'm living that now.

On the Stewarts, it was much easier. The sealer, eko-fill(like poly-brush), and u-v block(like poly spray) are one in the same. As you seal the fabric, you get your UV protection. Also, the tapes get the pinks ironed down after getting the eko fill applied and it layed down smooth and tight. And, no strong smells!
    I don't know why I'm fighting it on this one, but it's in the manual every step so I must not be the first one. It does mention several times that "....perhaps the solvents in subsequent coats lifted them."

No solvents in the Stewarts to do that!

[ATTACH]1691[/ATTACH

IMG_6632.jpg

IMG_6633.jpg

IMG_6635.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by foxfever; 11-16-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Aaron

Aaron, since you mentioned it, I will put in a word for Stewarts Systems. I recovered part of my KF using PolyFiber system and I am currently covering a Piper Pacer with Stewarts Systems. I will say hands down, without a slightest doubt Stewarts Systems is waaaaaaay easier to use. I will never use PolyFiber again. You iron the tapes edges once and the edges stay down. No bubbles, no pinholes, no nasty chemicals, no nasty smells. In fact I am able to keep my wood stove going, making it toasty warm in the hangar without needing to worry about blowing myself up.

First time using Stewarts and I am very happy with the result. I think it is a little less expensive too!