Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kiev Success

Default Kiev Success

I recently bought a Mk 5 that has a 912s installed. I am summarising my prop experiences as I thought it might help others who are looking to change props this winter.

When I bought the aircraft it had a 68 inch GSC ground adjustable on it. I just could not get the engine to stop vibrating, especially in the 3500 - 4500 rpm range. I tried everything from carb sync'ing, checking the mountings right through to balancing the prop dynamically. But, still she vibrated like hell. We eventually worked out what it was and realised that the tracking had moved from 1/16 inch error on one blade when it was installed to half an inch error within 6 hours of flying!!! There was nothing we could do to put this amount of error right and the blade just seemed to get more and more out of track the more I flew.

As a last resort I tried a friend's Kiev to do some ground run-ups with. It was remarkable how smooth it ran, right through the power range. So, I ordered one and installed it last week.

Setting it up was easy and within an hour we had a static of 5,200 rpm. I flew her for the first time with it installed yesterday and it was like a different aircraft. Smooth as silk and very responsive. The climb rate is 1400 fpm and 100 kts is easy at 5,000 rpm. 4400 rpm (or will I get deleted from this forum for suggesting such a low cruise power) gives 75 kts.

The prop wasn't too expensive and the dealer was really helpful. I have to get a spacer to be able to fit the spinner/backplate but will just wait for this to arrive.

All in all I can highly recommend the Kiev. I know I have only done a couple of hours with it but so far, so good.

Default Re: Kiev Success

I have to agree. I just turned over 40 hours on my kiev after 650 on "another" brand and I am very pleased to say the least. More RPM on takeoff and more performance. I am sorry I didn't know about this prop when I started out.
    Rich
    Kitfox Series-7 taildragger
    Rotax 912ULS
    SuperCub Wannabee

Me too,smooth as glass !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dick, did you have to replace your spinner with the new Kiev? Also, what model did you finally end up with?

Thanks,
    Scott

If a prop can be a work of art, that sure is. My before and after pics are over in the Engine section. A friend was watching me do a 45 degree takeoff and said the prop was bent forward into a cone. I sure hope that is ok and the Carbon Fiber is strong enough to take it
    Rich
    Kitfox Series-7 taildragger
    Rotax 912ULS
    SuperCub Wannabee

Scott,
    The spinner I had with my Warp fit fine so I used it . The prop cutouts are square and don't fit the prop planform perfectly but that's OK. Maybe later I will get the proper spinner.
    I can't remember the prop model number. The info is in my prop log at my hanger (not there now)
    I sure love it though ! Very quiet, smooth, and even easy on your hands during "burping".
    Dick
    model 4
    912UL

I have a 68 inch Kiev 3 blader on my 912s and getting a 5200 static is easy. It is the '263' model. Kiev also recommend the 283 (72 inch) model for the 912s. Static is achieved with a slightly finer pitch setting than on the 263 but you wouldn't need to be 'fully fine'. In a Mk 4 with a 100 hp Rotax and a Kiev, I hope your limbs are attached firmly to your body!! She is going to go like a rocket!!!!

The 283 is commonly used on the 912s as is the 263. However, on the 912 (80hp) it is generally only the 263 that is used (in the UK anyway).

PS And an update since my first post above - 25 hours on I am still very pleased with it. The pitch has stayed exactly as I set it and all torque settings remain unchanged. The spacer is now on and all is good.
    Last edited by Monocock; 02-05-2011 at 01:24 AM.

Pete,
    Monocock is correct. I used the 72inch at first on my 912UL but ended up going to the 68inch dia as the 72 did not work as well on my lower horsepower engine.
    Set the pitch so that you achieve around 5200 rpm (WOT) on your take off roll and you will be good to go. (initially around 10-12 degrees on the protractor I think..Its been awhile,you will have to experiment)
    Check the pitch angle on each blade when you torque it in thirds as it can change.
    Ted Bryant @ Kiev is very helpful with installation info. If you can't get him, give me a call @ 850-304-7371 (cell) if you have any questions. I have installed 3 of these and love them !.
    Dick

I just installed the 283 Kiev on my Kitfox IV - 1200 912S. I had a 72" Warp Drive and I am not happy with what I have done. I have tweaked the pitch settings a few times and am unable to find a spot where it will compare to the Warp. That ugly old Warp is a performer! I will keep this thing on for a bit, but I am sure it will go up for sale (cheap). It is very smooth and quiet, and the start up is way nicer. But performance is what matters to me and the airspeed and vsi are saying get rid of it. If anyone has a static rpm or pitch that they think is magical I'll try it, but otherwise not impressed.

It looks great, but that is not enough for me. I am glad I still have the Warp.
    Kelly

Kelly

What static are you showing?
    Are the blades all exactly the same pitch?
    What aspect of the performance is disappointing?

I am amazed that you are unhappy with it. I know of many people who have gone from WD props to Kievs and all are amazed at the difference it makes.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK