Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kiev Success

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: Kiev Success

willie waving ? never heard that term over here in the colonies
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

chuck,
    I think "willie waving" is British for a "pecker contest"
    Dick

Monocock,
    What propeller do you have? Is it the 283?
    What degree do you have your prop set to?
    I am not quite ready to give up on it, but right now I am still not happy. I just made a 250 mile cross-country and I am still looking for the magic.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

I have the Kiev for the Rotax 912uls with 2.43 gear reduction. I don't have my paperwork with me but I think it was the 283. It replaced a Powerfin which is now on the wall for sale. I tried the 5200 rpm on takeoff and got a fantastic climb rate but the wot rpm was over 5800 rpm. The "other" site had a thing about setting the prop so the wot rpm was below 5800 in case of throttle cable failure. I set my pitch so the wot rpm was about 5700. My climb rate suffered but my cruise went up about 5mph. The word on the other site was that the static rpm is just a starting point and I agree. BTW, I get 5200rpm within 10 seconds after liftoff then start my climb. I like this pitch setting and will keep it for awhile....Great Prop!!!!
    Rich
    Kitfox Series-7 taildragger
    Rotax 912ULS
    SuperCub Wannabee

Kelly

No, mine is the 263. The 283 has not yet been approved in the UK for use on the 912 even though it is deemed by Kiev to be the most suitable match for the engine.

As for pitch, the Kiev pitch setting tools aren't that standard (look like they have been made by a 6 year old at nursery school !!!) so are more of a "relative comparison" than a definitive angle. I just have my static set at 5200. I seem to recall that shows 16 on the Kiev scale.
    Last edited by Monocock; 07-13-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I plan to do another repitch tonight afterwork is done; I'll fly it tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

I have been busy flying a lot, but not the Kitfox. Been busy working with a Moose on floats and also my day job Beaver.
    I'll repitch it tomorrow morning, Saturday. Then I will fly it Sunday; I don't have to work on Sunday til 3pm.
    I am a little concerned about which way should I pitch it. I feel I am short on both ends. I am currently thinking courser.
    Maybe I'll have time for more than one try.
    Otherwise the Warp will go back on when I am home on Tuesday.
    Kelly

My gut instinct would also be to try it a bit coarser. The reason being is that I seem to recall when I once had mine pitched slightly too fine (5500 static) the take off roll wasn't any shorter than it is now with a coarser setting (5100/5200 static). This is just my experience though so might not be of use.

I hope you get it sorted. If not, I will be sorry to hear you have gone back to the WD. If I was in the US I would also buy it from you!!
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK