Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kiev Success

Default Re: Kiev Success

Wish I understood why your numbers on both ends went up with increased pitch I may be interested in running the same experiment on my 7.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Kelly,
    I would be interested in the spinner and back plate for the Kiev. After much thinking, I really don't need the prop as mine is fine and I have the 80 hp.
    The spinner I have now came off my Warp.(hanging on the wall) The fit of the Kiev spinner would be better as it more closly matches the Kiev curves.
    If you sell the prop and the guy doesn't want the spinner,please let me know.
    I have had my Kiev installed for almost 2 years now (I think)I still love the smoothness. It is much easier on my gearbox . I no longer have the kickback / run on that I had with the Warp at shutdown so I will stay with the Kiev. I think your assesment of its performance is pretty much spot on.
    The few mph difference between the Kiev and the Warp are not enough for me to sacrifice the excellent "flat plate" effect the Kiev gives me during approach. I can sure control the approach nicely ! Its turbine smoothness is of course legendary. And to be able to run the engine at lower rpm with out the gearbox sounding like a tub of ball bearings in a washing machine, is nice too!
    I will give the pitch another shot when I get around to it to see if I can tweek a little more out of it without over stressing the engine case. I know I can probably go the 1/2 to 1 degree you mention.
    ThanKs again for reporting your test results !
    Dick

Kelly,
    I may be interested in that prop. I currently have a two blade Warp Drive and I am wondering if the Kiev would work a little better. The Warp just seems 'rough' to me. More vibration then I like.
    I will also be going on Amphibs soon and would like the metal leading edge over the standard edge on my Warp Drive.
    My engine is a 912UL but has been modified with the Experimental Performance Inc. 10.5:1 pistons. Supposedly this gives 95 HP. The gear box is the 2.273:1 reduction and from Kiev's website the 283 is not listed as applicable. I need to call Kiev and get the answer.
    Keith
    Last edited by WWhunter; 07-20-2011 at 06:38 AM.

I am sorry to say that the prop and spinner are now sold and in a box.

Keith,
    In my research it sounds like the only time people were totally disappointed with their choice was when they went too long. That is a little against the thoughts of floatplane operations. Length is the key to the best performance and that would say you need to look for something other than the Kiev. I do not know what that prop is yet, but I might have some news for you in the next month.

Right now I would tell you I would be ready to buy a 3-blade Warp of 72". It would be the best I have seen for amphib use; just remember the leading edge when ordering. I would keep an eye out on e-bay too. If you aren't in a hurry you will be able to get what you want from there. Used Warps seem to bring around $500 and that is great performance for the dollar.

The guys at Warp say the straight blade will give better "out of the hole", but it hurts your cruise speed. Just to keep in mind.

Kelly

Kelly,
    Thanks alot. Bummer though about it being sold. I wanted to try it on wheels also.
    I totally agree that person needs a long prop for seaplane flying. I will probably talk to Warp Drive at Oshkosh and see what they recommend. The two blade I have now performs well on wheels but since it doesn't have metal leading edge I am hesitant to use it on floats.

Just remember: 72" three blade, straight blade, nickel inlay, is over the maximum allowable weight for a 912 and will wreck your gearbox and/or sprag assembly.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

In my research it sounds like the only time people were totally disappointed with their choice was when they went too long
    Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head there Kelly. I'm rather amazed at the performance figures you weren't getting with the longer Kiev in comparison to mine with my shorter one. I am now wondering if I too would suffer a drop in performance if I had bought the longer one. One would assume that the longer one would give more performance, not less. I can't help wonder why the 283 is deemed as the more suitable one for 100hp over the 263.

If this long / short difference isn't the reason then my 1700 fpm climb can only be down to the Mk 5 airframe as that climb is with a flying weight of 1135 lbs.

I'm still a bit confused......!
    Last edited by Monocock; 07-21-2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I originally ordered the longer blade Kiev and tried it on my 80 hp model 4. I did not get good results so I sold it to a friend within a week to use on his 100hp Paradise P-1. He replaced his Warp with it and has been very happy with the prop.
    I then ordered the shorter Kiev and that has worked out well for me. I have about (within 2-3 mph) the same cruise as I had with my Warp but with alot more benefits. I will tweek it a little more when I get the chance, to see if I can get a little more out of it. I am close to the "sweet spot" as Ted Bryant says.
    In any case I do have a Warp 3 blade taper tip with the nickle leading edges available if you are interested. The prop is at the top end of the recommended weights for the Rotax 912 but is within the limits. It was the original prop that came with my plane and is in excellent condition. The hub pattern is an early one as my engine is mid 90's.
    As I have mentioned in my previous posts, I was having trouble with the prop turning backwards a few turns on engine shutdown on occasion. (much like old car run on or a J-3 prop turning backwards on shutdown).
    I saw the Kiev on some Highlanders, loved it and have had one since. I have not had a single case of 'run on " with it. I had previously called Lockwood about the run on problem I had been having with the Warp installed and they told me I was the only one in the country that had that problem....it figures ! (just like I was the only one that ever had an oil filter unscrew itself... BS, I safety wire now !!!)
    Anyway,the Warp is on the wall and at some point I will sell it. I have kept it as a spare but haven't needed it.(looks cool with all the aviation stuff on my hanger walls,beer signs,etc) It is a tough prop well suited for water work.
    Dick

Dave,
    I am definitely interested in the prop you have. I am going to talk to Warp Drive at Oshkosh and will get a better idea of what I might need.
    Could you send me the particulars on the prop you have....if you are going to sell it.
    Milton, FL huh? I was stationed at AF Special Ops Hurlburt Fld. Many years ago and worked in Ft. Walton for several years. My wife is from there and her parents recently moved to Defuniak Springs. I have a place in Navarre that I am currently renting out. Wished I would have found this site earlier, I was just down there a few months ago. I'll have to look you up next time I get there. I was actually out at the Milton airport looking for a Husky that was supposed to be there for sale.
    Keith

I will get the specs for you and get a picture of it.
    I fly to the Milton airport every other day or so to drink coffee and airport bum.On occasion I talk to some of the new guys going into Navy/Air Force flight training. They have a civilian prep school there now. (sure glad I am done with that)
    My hanger is on a grass strip in Chumukla (north of Pace,Fl)
    The airport is 16FL...J-22 Ranch airport.