Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kiev Success

Default Re: Kiev Success

I plan to do another repitch tonight afterwork is done; I'll fly it tomorrow.
    Thanks,
    Kelly

I have been busy flying a lot, but not the Kitfox. Been busy working with a Moose on floats and also my day job Beaver.
    I'll repitch it tomorrow morning, Saturday. Then I will fly it Sunday; I don't have to work on Sunday til 3pm.
    I am a little concerned about which way should I pitch it. I feel I am short on both ends. I am currently thinking courser.
    Maybe I'll have time for more than one try.
    Otherwise the Warp will go back on when I am home on Tuesday.
    Kelly

My gut instinct would also be to try it a bit coarser. The reason being is that I seem to recall when I once had mine pitched slightly too fine (5500 static) the take off roll wasn't any shorter than it is now with a coarser setting (5100/5200 static). This is just my experience though so might not be of use.

I hope you get it sorted. If not, I will be sorry to hear you have gone back to the WD. If I was in the US I would also buy it from you!!
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

I am becoming more optimistic.

I added another degree of pitch and the performance is coming together. I hope that another .5 degree will bring it even closer to what I am looking for.

There are several things that are different about this prop that I don't understand. The first is that so far climb rate and cruise speed are both increasing with pitch and that is unheard of. The other part of that is that my climb rate is still getting better even with super low static rpm. The last thing that is throwing me for a loop is that I am off the gauge sent with the prop for set up.

My Warp was set to 5220 static. Which gave 1600 fpm and 109 mph cruise.

My first successful setting for the Kiev was at 5060 static. Which only gave 1000 fpm and 104 mph.

Yesterdays repitch has me at 4950 static. This gives me 1350 fpm and 113 mph.

Ted from Kievpropamerica said I should be looking for 5000 rpm static for success. When I asked him about the pitch setting he said to start at the top of the scale and go from there. The top of the scale was 13 degress and I am currently at around 15. Another Kiev owner mentioned he was around 16.

I know I am going to light some people off about the 5200 rpm static bulletin from rotax. But this is short term flight test, so it'll be fine. But thanks for worrying.

More to come,
    Kelly

Those numbers are almost exactly the same as mine. Glad to get some reinforcement. Again, I lift the wheels off in less than 200 ft then fly level for about 5 to 10 sec to 5200 and I'm off at 1300 fpm climb and about 112mph at 5300 rpm. When I could lift off at 5200 rpm and pull it back into a 1500fpm climb at 70mph was about 1/32" less pitch. It is a pretty hokey pitch tool but I can't find one that will fit around all those curves in the prop.
    Rich
    Kitfox Series-7 taildragger
    Rotax 912ULS
    SuperCub Wannabee

Kelly,
    Thanks for doing the flight tests on the Kiev. I have varied my pitch about 4 times on my 80 horse but stopped when I reached the 5200 static and accepted what it gave me(per the bulletin)
    However after your tests ,perhaps I can squeeze a little more performance out of my Kiev. I am actually getting about 5300-5400 at the end of my takeoff roll so I probably have some room to increase my pitch a bit. I ,like you, thought that would decrease my climb and I didn't want that to happen.
    I of course don't have the climb or speed you guys get (lower hp,bush gear,fat tires,etc) but if there is room for improvement.....
    Dick

I think you will be surprised what happens with the next .75 to 1 degree you put in.

I will be putting in my weekly 240 mile cross country today and I'll see how it goes. I think I could still see some improvement from another .25 to .5 degree; I still haven't seen the progress start tapering off yet.

It'll take a few weeks I think to see what this thing will actually do.

Kelly

Kelly

Do you think we might hear you say you like the Kiev soon?!!
    Kitfox 4 (1050)
    912UL
    Based in UK

Following this thread with great interest, thanks for posting updates.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I have now made it home with the Kiev at the new settings. I think I have finally got the cruise speed to where it is OK and I can live with the climb degredation. But I feel I am overloading the 912s to get those numbers. I will make a few more flights, but I am pretty sure the Warp is headed back on.
    I am really surprised how much better the performance is at both ends with the Warp. I would have never expected it. I have put significant time into the Kiev and feel I have given it a fair try.
    As for my liking it...
    There is no question I like it. It is so much smoother all the way around. It gets rid of the jolt at start up and shut down, which is truly amazing to feel. All the parts are of high quality. For instance the spinner backing plate has a lip for making sure it is seated properly. I have never seen this on any aircraft before, and I am always at the airport! It is a very high quality product and I will miss certain aspects of it, but I am purely looking for the shortest takeoff and crazy climb rate, supported with a reasonable cruise speed.

If anyone is interested in trying this for themselves I will be putting it up for sale.

Here is what I have:
    Black Kiev 283 (less than 6 hours TT)
    White Spinner and Back Plate
    Mounting hardware for that setup
    1.2" spacer for clearance issues on some installations
    Mounting Hardware for that setup too
    Installation Instructions
    Protractor

Price will be $750 plus shipping; this is better than $1400 new and an 8 week wait while they have your money.

Let me know,
    Kelly