Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Kitfox 3 leaf spring

Default Installing Kitfox 3 leaf spring

Got my new tailwheel spring but not exactly sure how to install. Pic shows 3 leaves, a bracket, and a brad/rivet. I know the small leaf goes on top and the hole in it appears to accommodate the rivet which holds the bracket on the upper surface. Then the 2 wings of the bracket are bent around the remaining leaves to hold them together. There's a recess on the bottom side of the smaller leaf which I assume is to contain the bucked end of the rivet so it doesn't interfere with the fit against the next leaf.

Does all of this sound correct? I'm replacing my single spring on a model 2.

Chris Carlisle
    Model 2, 582, C Box
    Sioux Falls, SD

Default Re: Installing Kitfox 3 leaf spring

Chris
    You can use 1, 2 or all 3 springs.. on the Model II I would most likely use 2 springs..

Wouldn't worry about the clamp...
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thanks John. And thanks for the quick reply, quick service on the spring, etc, etc.

Chris

Oh yeah, does anyone know how much longer the bolts will have to be when using 2 of the leaves? There's one for the spring-to-fuselage (AN6 or 7 I believe) and then the 2 smaller bolts for the bracket at the most aft attach point.

Chris

Same demand and same kitfox, my single one was broken during taxi.
    Have sent you a message John.
    I have to order a new one quickly please !

New leaf spring was ordered to Kitfox.
    I hope i will not have to make too much adjustments for the airframe fixing bolt cause i had the single original one, and now the width will be the double if i saw on pictures.

In the same time windshield to change (see other post).

As the weather is rainy still one week i repair the KF2....

Oliver...Unfortunately, all of the bolts used in the leafspring installation have to be replaced. The double spring makes it 6mm thicker than the single. Also, the AN7 bolt that attaches it to the fuselage was kind of difficult to get out and I finally had to cut a hole in the fabric to access it's head. However, since then (naturally) I've thought of several ways this could have been avoided.

Chris

that's what i was thinking.
    But has my aircraft was build in 1992 it perhaps a good idea to put a new one one for the leaf airframe's attachment. Will cut the fabric in circle, and make a visiting window.

Actually, I was kind of glad I opened it up. Lots of junk in there. Like for example, several of the castelated nuts that hold the elevator push tube to the horn on the elevator that I'd dropped over the years after removal for inspections. A dime, a penny, rivet heads, a paper clip, washers, etc, etc. Kinda funny actually. Will probably have to go back and re-calculate the weight and balance now.

i never cut the fabric. Is it strong ? I'll use a cutter ?