Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: what would you do

Default what would you do

OK, here is a "what if " question. I just purchased my tickets for the Win a plane at Airventure, so the rest of you forget it , I won it already. Now I won the new LSA Piper Skycatcher , would you trade it for a Kit Fox built by the factory??????? I really like the kitfox, and think it is a better go anywhere plane than the Skycatcher, but it is free, what would you do???????
    gary

Default Re: what would you do

Coming here and asking that is a bit like asking whether we would rather spend the night with our Mother-in-law or with Jennifer Lopez .

thats what I thought, BUT wait what does your mother in law look like?

When it comes to Jennifer there are two Ts in BUTT, If it where me I would fly the Skycatcher while I built my KitFox, sell the catcher when done.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

If it hadn't fallen out of the sky in the meantime like they seem to

Piper doesn't make the Skycatcher. It's Cessna.

But for the purpose of the pipe dream will say you get hit by a bolt and win a Cessna. It isn't free. Valued at over $100K you have to cough up the taxes. At a minimum your looking at a $25K to $30K tax bill before you can take delivery. Yep... the IRS wants the witholding up front. Don't have $25 grand in the checking? Oops! Take out a bridge loan with the bank.

So you decide to sell the Skycatcher to pay for the taxes. Heavily discounted, of course. Then you have brokerage fees of 10%. That's another $10K. You'll be left with $60K which isn't enough to buy a completed Kitfox from the factory.

Now, winning $60K after taxes isn't a bad deal. But I think you are looking at a used airplane or a homebuilt Kitfox, not a factory new one. The good news is $60K will buy a nice certified cross country four seat aircraft.

JP

I have an IFR certified Liberty XL-2, 125hp, Fadec Contorl, with a full Garmin stack. Flies 130 mph on 5.5 gph, a great little short/cross country machine.

But the Liberty is for sale, and I would personally rather have a Kitfox. I enjoy backyard flying much more than cross country.
    It is a beautiful morning for flying, but instead of jumping in the Liberty, I am heading out in the shop to work on 1 of my 2 project Kitfoxes!
    Aaron