Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Burping the 912

Default Re: Burping the 912

DO NOT use the starter to burp the engine (at least not in the first revolutions of the engine) IF,IF you were to have a hydraulic lock you would most likely bend a rod.
    Turning the prop thru slowly is indeed the best way to pressurise the crank case in order to get the oil back into the oil tank to check for the proper quantity. In my case.being a taildragger, it takes many turns so I turn it slow to make it easier on me. (especially if you haven't flown in a while.. )
    Dick Maddux
    912 UL

Running the propeller thru is a common thing with a radial engine. I used to fly an old Waco(also Stearman,Curtis Wright Travel Air,Monocoupe,etc) and on occasion the Warner Super Scarab engine would allow oil to pass by the rings into the lower cylinders. If you run the prop slowly thru by hand ypou can feel the resistance to movement and remove a lower spark plug or two to drain the oil out of the cylinder (s) .If you use the starter then too much mechanical advantage and bamm,a bent connecting rod !.
    This is unlikely in a Rotax but it "could happen' and the procedure also puts all the oil back in the oil tank for proper quantity check.
    So yes,"burping" is necessary. Sometimes I forget most of you guys haven't been exsposed to "round" engines. Showing my age I guess.
    Dick

As usual,...excellent advice and info from this forum...Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try Rudi's method....Dan H.

I agree, will also be trying the Rudi method, I have a bum shoulder so the fewer blades I need to pull through the better.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Quote Originally Posted by catz631 View Post
    DO NOT use the starter to burp the engine (at least not in the first revolutions of the engine) IF,IF you were to have a hydraulic lock you would most likely bend a rod.
    Turning the prop thru slowly is indeed the best way to pressurise the crank case in order to get the oil back into the oil tank to check for the proper quantity. In my case.being a taildragger, it takes many turns so I turn it slow to make it easier on me. (especially if you haven't flown in a while.. )
    Dick Maddux
    912 UL
    I absolutely agree that you must turn the engine over before engaging the starter. I left out that step not thinking. I always turn over my engine by hand during preflight then come back and crank it up just before I burp it.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

I too will try Rudi's method as I'm usually beat by the time I finally get the burps! Usually take a passenger and have them do it as pay for the ride!