Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 27 of 35 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Show us your panel

Default Re: Show us your panel

Kirby,

Looks like you have made excellent use of your existing panel real estate. I love the uAvionix in/out, not outrageously priced - easy install and it tested out flawlessly. I have a smaller screen (7") with the iFly GPS which directly interfaces with the uAvionix.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks Dave,
    Took a lot of trial to get things to fit without starting with a new panel.
    The Ipad barely fits with a RAM mount (no case) and I gained some room by going from a 3" tach to a 2" digital. Really like the new Dynon D3 too.
    Both have synthetic vision and remove with just a click. Nice to take your Ipad inside for lunch when your're deciding on the next stop!
    Kirby Cramer
    Kitfox 4, Built 1993
    NSI/Subaru 98HP, Warp Drive 70" three bade tapered ground adj. @ 22 deg. 90MPH cruise @ 3700 RPM.
    Elison throttle body, Dynon D3 VSI, ForeFlight/Ipad 10",
    uAvionix ADS-B in/out, Narco AT150 transponder, Icom 1220 VHF.
    460 Hours

I was going to wait to post panel pictures until it was complete then I woke up to the realization that someone might see something in my plans I've missed. Here's the current version. (To be honest, I'm also interested in checking out the new picture posting process.)

Update - the picture posting process is a DRAMATIC improvement. Thanks to our Admin!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Of course, it's all incredibly personal how we design our panels but why have a separate EFIS and EMS? If GRT don't combine the engine stuff into their EFIS than how about something like an MGL Explorer Lite in place of those two panels? By vario, do you mean VSI or is that meant to be an altimeter? Why a standby ASI & VIS, instead of an ASI & Alt? IF you went down the MGL EFIS route then your standby instruments could be where your EMS is. Also, if you were to buy only the radio box of a Trig radio, then you can remote mount it anywhere you like and control it through your EFIS. Same with their transponder.

It could be that you've already bought the GRT stuff etc, in which case ignore all the above

PaulSS - Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I don't need to have the EIS in the panel (the EFIS uses the same data) and at first didn't but because the panel looked really empty I put it in. Also, we all want or passengers to think that it takes a lot of talent to be a pilot and that means plenty of instruments. Then it occurred to me that if I put it in the panel I can have a "less busy" single screen on the EFIS. As a matter of fact, originally I had planned on not having an EFIS, I wanted the old fashioned steam gauge look but you just can't beat an EFIS for a variety of reasons and I acquiesced and joined the modern era.

A vario (variometer) is a really sensitive VSI with a fast time constant - something less than 3 seconds.
    Variometer.jpg

My first ride in a Kitfox (lots of years ago) incorporated soaring and I'm looking forward to repeating the experience - hence the vario.

The EFIS will control the transponder and could control the radio (I'm pretty sure) but I'm not setting it up that way as I've not enjoyed trying to change frequencies on an EFIS in turbulence. (Maybe that means I'm not all of the way into the modern era.)

Cheers,

Darrel

Okay, looks like we cut some holes, progress buddy.

Yep - was fairly pleased with the progress today. Had to address a problem in the house that took a trip to Lowe's but all but one of the planned holes was cut. The remaining two are waiting for the associated parts - just to make sure they really are standard parts.

Thumbs up Re: Show us your panel

Yep - that's the concept to capture. Too funny, love Brit humor!!

Does anyone have a .dxf or CAD file template of a Classic 4 panel? Looking into doing a panel upgrade. Thanks!

I have a Solidworks file of my panel. However I flattened the the top curve a little to lower the overall height of the panel. Give me your email address and I will send it along with the file that added the lettering adjacent to the controls using a silkscreen process.