Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Levelling reference for weight and balance ?

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Levelling reference for weight and balance ?

Hi, I am looking for the leveling reference point on a Kitfox 5 taildragger for doing a weight and balance. I realize the aircraft should be in level flight attitude on the scales, but I do not know what location to reference to deem it " in level flight attitude"

Default Re: Levelling reference for weight and balance ?

Use the bottom of the door opening and make sure itis level.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Thanks Agfoxflyer, Is this the location that the factory recommends ?

From the SS manual Final Assembly, Section M, Weight and Balance. Page 89. Rev. A 01/08

"Leveling means: Bubble level on longitudinal fuselage floor tubing below the cabin."

Kitfox SS has six pages in the manual on W&B.

The model 5 may be different. For your model 5 Refer to the manual or contact Kitfox.

JP

I am the third owner of this kitfox that has 170hrs , the two owners previous have two different w&b 's ,so as the new owner and after changing some things I want to do a new W&B to have a solid benchmark .

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    From the SS manual Final Assembly, Section M, Weight and Balance. Page 89. Rev. A 01/08

"Leveling means: Bubble level on longitudinal fuselage floor tubing below the cabin."

Kitfox SS has six pages in the manual on W&B.

The model 5 may be different. For your model 5 Refer to the manual or contact Kitfox.

JP

Thanks, I believe that the model 5 and 7 are the same fuselage with the 7 having some improvements that a person could do to a model 5, but I am no expert on this. I agree that talking to John seems like the thing to do. Thanks;Kevin

Kevin, I suspect you will find that the leveling point for all kitfoxes is the fuselage tubing below the cabin floor. Depending on what type of gear you have and if you wear bifocals it can be a little bit difficult getting the level parallel to the tubing and then seeing it.

After a couple times weighing mine I checked the bottom door frame tube after the plane was leveled by the book. I checked both lengthwise and side to side.

After you get it level the first time you may want to check the door flames to see if they are level both ways too. Or document some other points on the plane that are more convenient.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Kevin, I used the door frame for the reason Tom mention (things in the way). I don't recall where I got the info, it was either from the manuel or forums. But as long as the door frame is parallel to the bottom tubes referenced you should be good to go. One thing for sure is make sure when doing W&B have a Good set of scales. My first attempt gave me some suspect values and I went back and redid with a better set of scales. All came out good. The first set we later proven to be off considerably.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Thanks all, I have located the series 5 assembly manuals and there is a W&B chapter that tells you to put a bubble level on the fuselage floor tubing, I have the grove gear and I think I should be able to do this method. I will check to see if the lower door frame is parallell to the lower fuselage floor tubing, that is a good idea to help with an easy access point. I have rented some industrial scales that have been calibrated so I should be good to go ! Thanks; Kevin