Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tail dragger disease...

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy Tail dragger disease...

Yesterday i was taxiing to control my engine after my 50 h overhaul then suddenly i heard a crack sound and my angle of attack increased and the KF wanted to go right. i switch of the engine went out the cockpit and realized that my tail's wheel was broken...

More precisely it was the arcuate segment spring ( not sure for the english term...)

I've got only a single thickness leaf and it broked where is curved just after the airframe attachment.

For information was it a default in the steel or the thickness is not sufficient ?

I heard someone doubled it. For information the thickness is 0,236 inch for 1,22 inch of width.

The broken wheel rebound on the ground and choked the stabilizer (the moving part) provoking a hole in the Diatex covering.

With the weight of the aircraft without is tail wheel the stabilizer was bent too

Was lucky that it broked during taxi and not during landing...

If others have ideas or pictures ?

Other problem if i put a stronger one i think that the bolt that fix it will be too short to put the nut. And this bolt seems to be inserted from the inside part of the airframe before covering. So i have to cut that Diatex to put a longer one
    Attached Images Attached Images