Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Hirth Engines

Default Hirth Engines

Any of you have any experience with Hirth engines ?
    Specifically, the Hirth 3503 as a substitute for the Rotax 582-99.
    A forum search showed very little in the line of Hirth, but it appears to be a note worthy candidate.

Any input, history or experiences would be great.
    Thanks

edit:
    hmmm...this is interesting http://www.ultralightnews.com/buz1/rtxhirt.html

Maybe no more needs to be said ?
    Last edited by Foxer; 10-08-2010 at 06:13 AM.

Default Re: Hirth Engines

Hi Foxer, that information on the link you posted is at least 15 years old and several engine models back. But never the less Hirth engines just never seem to have been the best engines, I know a couple of fellows locally that tried making one work in a plane, both are excellent 2 stroke guys and they really had a time with the Hirth. After about 2 months and much work (they even converted the engine from fuel injection back to carbs) they got it to work / run but the owner sold the plane after just a few hours of flying. My advise is to go with a Rotax 582 if you want to fly behind a reliable 2 stroke.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I am responding, from the now of June 2019, to a vintage thread circa 2010.

I own a KF2 that originally had a Rotax 532 which was worn out and having issues. I investigated and talked to many folks who fly two strokes and everyone told me about the Rotax 582. It is a fine engine but I did not purchase the Rotax.
    I liked the simplicity of the reed valves of Hirth and they also have a long history.

I purchased a Hirth 3502 and have never looked back. I have 138 trouble free hours on it. It is very economical on the GPH and which gives me good range on my two 6 gallon aluminum tanks. Plus, when I go far, I carry my 5 gallon jug of fuel and hope to find something to stand on to fuel the plane.

I use non ethanol gas and a good two stroke oil. I am lucky that my source of fuel at my home airport is a few minutes away.

It had an easy installation, just few small modifications to engine support members and the cowling for the exhaust tube exit.

Recreational Power Engineering and Heaven Bound Aviation have been my sources for information. They gave me tips on how to take care of my Hirth for trouble free operation, etc., and are always there for questions, parts, service, etc.

I fly in rural central VA/NC and I take my little KF to some far away places. I try to fly daily weather permitting and when the "have to" of life don't get in the way. My KF does not see much asphalt under its wheels.

Happy Flying!

Nice report Felix. You’re enjoying your Kitfox and your engine installation. Can’t ask for more.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear