Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wheel & brake kit

Default Wheel & brake kit

Hi all, Iam looking for the right wheel size(6" dia x 4.3w or 5.4"w) can anyone share there thought's on selection. Mainly grass/ bush strip appilcation.

Default Re: Wheel & brake kit

Can you please discuss your plane, gear type, engine, intended uses, etc.?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Well, there is a couple of pis here to show where the project is at this stage. I am a bit confused about wheel sizes , and would like to know whether to use 6"D x 4.3 wide rims or 5.4" wide rims and tyre sizes. The pic with the white frames on the left is about what tyre size I am looking for. Any ideas Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i have to agree that there needs to be more info about the plane . there is a lot involved here as to axle size , bolt pattern size to mount the axle to the gear leg , length of the axle for the different width wheels , how the brake disk is mounted on the wheel . i would decide what size tire would best suite my needs and them contact either kitfox , matco or grove tech people and see what they reccomend as a wheel/brake /axle combo .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Garyh-

Based on the firewall attach stations and baggage locker, the white fuse on the left looks like an Avid Mk-IV. My Avid Mk-IV manual says to use a 3/4" x 8-7/8" min. axle length for wheel penetration skis or wheel pants with the 6.00 x 6 standard tires and larger 8.00 x 6 tundra tires. For ski and pant support, you need to end drill outer axles min. 1" deep and tap 7/16" x 20, as well as modify the axle nut for a spring retaining clip since the end axle bolt prohibits the use of a retaining cotter key in the end of the axle.

For my Avid+, I made axles out of 3/4" dia. 4130 steel rod, cold finished MIL-S-6758A-normalized, cut 3/4"-16 threads for the retaining nuts and end drilled as noted above. I am using Matco W62 wheels (1185lb. static rating), Carlisle 4-ply 8.00x6 tires and Cheng Shin 8.00x6/7 tubes. The W62 is 4.375 inch width with an additional 1.23 inch caliper spacing. Tapered roller bearing spacing is 2.52 inches and axle spacing is 1.25 inches. The total weight of this wheel and brake assembly is 7.0lbs.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by dholly; 10-03-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Yeah thanks alot to all, thats got me on the right track now.

dholly , did you have to use the 1" spacer in the w62 wheels to use the 8.00x6.00 tires ?
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Chuck- no wheel width spacer necessary IMHO. I did have to tinker some with the steel axle spacer length to get the brake rotor and caliper in line properly, but I'm guessing that's pretty normal even with kit supplied parts.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

dholly , nice looking gear . when i acquired my kit it was already on wheels . when i got her flying i tried the wheel pants and they didnt workout so i attempted to install wheel covers , the axles were too long . i have a 1/2" spacer on the nut side of the wheel . seem i have a grove axle for the atv wheel and the w62 wheels with 6.00x6 tires were installed later . ill probably cut new threads and shorten the axles since ill never put atv wheels on her . i will probably go to 8.00x6 if i ever have to replace tires .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa