Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Can I Use Seafoam in a Kitfox?

Default Can I Use Seafoam in a Kitfox?

Had the tops of my carbs off and noticed some greenish deposits in the carbs.(the plane runs excellent thou)..anyone used seafoam to clear the carbs out?...will seafoam damage our tanks? People who use seafoam in other types of engines/vehicles swear by the stuff...Thanks, Dan.

Default Re: Can I Use Seafoam in a Kitfox?

I can't answer your question on the seafoam, but will give my 2 cents worth on the subject none the less. I would take the carbs off and go after them with a can of carb cleaner and a brush to remove any gunk that has accumulated. Here is my reasoning on it. Suppose the seafoam loosens the gunk and it flows into the small holes in the idle jet or anywhere else. Now you have a bigger problem. Maybe even that deafening silence we all worry about. I would remove the gunk rather than trying to flush it through. Take care, Jim Chuk

I’m a bit skeptical of claims from fuel and oil additive suppliers. Every time I hear how their product is supposed to do wonderful things I ask the same questions.
    Q. The manufacturers of automotive, marine and aircraft engines pay a lot of money out each year for warranty claims. They are very interested in keeping those costs as low as possible. If this product does as advertised, wouldn’t the manufacturer demand its use, or at least recommend its use in their engines in order to reduce those costs? But most engine manuals specifically prohibit the use of additives or the warranty is void. How do you explain that?
    A. - - -
    I’ve never gotten an answer.
    You may find people that swear by the Seafoam stuff, but a quick Google search also gets people that swear AT the stuff. If you wouldn't put it in a brand new Cessna 182, why would you put it in your Kitfox?
    John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

I too am a bit skeptical of additives or miracle in a can,I work on outboard motors for a living and have had many questions of the same.What I tell my customers if the carbs are gummed up the only way to fix them is to take them apart and clean them.If its green inside its from old gas so after you get them clean and keep fresh gas in your tanks then you will probably not have a problem.The people that swear by it probably run it as a preventive maintainance and chances are would not have had a problem if they wernt using it.Not bashing any companies that sell it but thats my own opinion and experience.Fresh gas and a clean fuel sytem will give you great service. Randy

84KF

I use it (Seafoam) in my 912UL per mfg instructions. Got rid of some heavy deposits on the top side of the intake valves the were causing a sealing problem. (visible when an intake manafold is removed) Hasn't harmed my tanks that I can tell. Seems to work as well as "Gumout" for getting rid of the sticky deposit that collects in the intake side of the carbs too.

Engine runs like a champ now...isn't that the bottom line?

To Dan's original question, I'd agree with the notion of removing and cleaning the carbs rather than trying to flush the "whatever" through them and the engine.

I'm not an additive fan, personally.
    Last edited by Av8r3400; 09-29-2010 at 04:43 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos