Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Decisions Decisions Decisions

Default Decisions Decisions Decisions

Now working on my sport license and I see three options for my future.
    I like the looks of kitfox and RV-12. Leaning to Kitfox heavily.
    Options are:
    1 Buy and build a RV.
    2 buy and build a Kitfox ss7.
    3 Buy a used Kitfox as they seem to cost about half a new build.
    Not sure I could trust a homebuilt from someone I did not know. I am
    sure there are some really messed up kits out there. And some really
    good ones. Also there are not too many Kitfox 7's for sale yet.

I would really enjoy building one but then nothing to fly until it was done.
    No light sports around to rent. An hour drive to nearest LSA.

I guess I am just fishing for some words of wisdom from those who have been there and done that.

TIA
    Fooey

Default Re: Decisions Decisions Decisions

Building an airplane is a most satisfying experience -- the process of getting exactly what you want is priceless. And everyone knows that real pilots are tailwheel pilots (just kidding, sort of ;-) ) Seriously, flying a tailwheel aircraft is also a very satisfying experince, and you don't have the weight or drag of a nosewheel.

You can't go wrong with either of the two aircraft you've identified, but you can't get an RV-12 in a conventional gear configuration.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

Well folks, I've got some free time so I'll jump in on this one.

Choosing an airplane is a process almost everyone on the forum has gone through. some are still doing it after several years.

Here’s my take on whether you should build a Kitfox SS7 or a Classic IV.

The Classic IV is perfect for those interested in flying LSA. The empty weight is about 650 pounds. Throw in 2 bodies at 340 and full fuel 27 gallons with optional tanks adding 162 pounds and you are taking off at 1152 pounds. With an 80 to 100 hp engine, performance is sprightly. If you want to go overnight you still have room for another 48 pounds of gear.

The SS7, in my opinion, is for the larger and heavier engines. With the SS7 you can pack a lunch and fly it LSA but you aren’t going to pack it for an overnight. The airframe weighs 100 pounds more than the Classic IV. Start with 750 pounds for the empty weight, add in your two bodies at 340 and top off the tanks with 162 pounds of fuel. You are now at 1252 pounds; just 68 pounds under the max for LSA. With the weight only 10% greater than the Classic IV, the performance is still good. But keep in mind if you and your flying partner weigh more than the FAA 340 pounds you’ll bust the max weight with full tanks.

I’m building a SS7 but will certify it as E-AB with a gross weight of 1550. The extra load capability makes it versatile for camping trips. Sure, the performance won’t be as peppy as a Classic IV, but hopefully the bigger engine will make up for some of the weight.

Unless you are planning a different engine, need or want the 4 inches wider cabin, or have some other compelling reason; I would go with the IV over the SS7. But that’s just one pilot’s opinion.

Now about the buying an airplane someone else built. Use a good mechanic familiar with homebuilts. Have the mechanic do pre-buy inspection. An annual merely tells you the aircraft is airworthy. A good pre-buy can tell you the quality of the work, any issues that may need addressing in the near future, and maintenance items that look like they have be deferred. A good pre-buy should dispel any misgivings about an aircraft assembled by someone else. It is easy to spot junk and simply pass.

Have fun in your decision making process.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 09-26-2010 at 07:07 AM.

John, try that again using a maximum gross weight of 1200 for a Classic 4 and 1320 maximum for a SS7 you want to fly under sport pilot rules. I agree on the Model 4 choice. There are some very good buys on finished ones around.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Fooey,
    And here is my two cents. I would not even concider building from scratch(sorry John) but then I am an "old fart" I have owned more than 15 airplanes and over 1/2 have been experimentals. The quality of workmanship in each case usually has been equal or exceeded a factory built . Most builders take great pride in their work so I don't think you will find a lot of "junk" out there. I can count on one hand the number of bad experimentals I have come across.
    What you will find is projects people have started /mostly completed but life got in the way. If I was looking for a kit plane buy one that is complete or 90% complete and then you only have 90% more to do. It will save you a pile of money !!!
    Dick

Thanks, I corrected the figures. One of the hazards of making late night posts. I really should wait till morning before hitting the send button.

JP