Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: swaging copilot rudder cable question

Default swaging copilot rudder cable question

swaging the copilot rudder cables to the pilot rudder cables at the place indicated places the nicopress right over the lower fuselage diagonal. is there a tendency for the nicopress fitting to rub on the diagonal. has anyone found this or made swage forward or aft to avoid this.

Default Re: swaging copilot rudder cable question

kmul

The location where you have the swage works fine. You should be about half way between the two cross tubes for full left-right deflection. When the cables are tensioned, the cables will be pulled up above and clear the diagonal tube without rubbing. I put a bit of heat shrink tubing over the swage for additional protection.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

ok, i did it where i was supposed to after walking by it and looking at it for a couple days. i decided to take some larger dia nylaflo or poly tubing, slit it and glue it around the diagonal tubing. probably i am worrying too much about it.

I am swaging the co-pilots cables to pilots side. I installed the nicopress at 67" as per the manual. (KF -5) The thing I didn't take into account is the position of the pedals when doing this. The manual says middle setting on the adjusting levers. Which I did, But it doesn't say what position that the pedals need to be. 90 degrees to the floor? Or is there another reference spot? The issue I am running in to is, I mocked up the firewall and notice that in order for the pedals to work and not hit the firewall and operate the rudder, the crossover nicopresses hit the aft cable guides.

So.....does anyone know where the pedal need to be positioned when doing this?

I am thinking a dremel tool and carefully cutting the nicopresses off unless someone else has another idea or a time machine.

Not sure about the model 5, but I believe the SS7 has you put both pedals in the neutral position-clamp a piece of wood across both sets of pedals.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

You ,may get some tips by looking at #47 and several after that in the builders hints and tips section.

Rick

Thanks...... The neutral position is what is/was getting me.

I totally over looked the builders tips.....so that was a big help.

I cut the nicopresses off with a dremel cut off wheel and opened them up, surprisingly without harming the cable. I used cable clamps and "dry fit" everything before swaging the new nicopresses.

Would be nice if the manual gave a little bit more clarity on this.