Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 1 ?

Default Kitfox 1 ?

Hi all, I have just joined your forum.

I am in the process of buying a Kitfox model 1, kit was bought in 1988 and has never been finished. Most parts including a new 532 are still in the box. About all that has been done is wing ribs have been attached to spars, control linkage installed and floor board has been installed.

Can someone point out things I should look for. All I have seen are photos of it, but I have made an offer pending finel inxpection and it has been accepted. It is 1200 miles away and it will be next week before I can get to see it.

Jim

Default Re: Kitfox 1 ?

Jim, have you found this page on the Kitfoxaircraftllc web site yet. http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/FAQ-Tech.htm

Look through the service letters and service bulletins for some ideas of things that may or may not be done on this Kit.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Thanks Tom, yes I had found the SBs and MSBs. I did not find any major setbacks. I noted in the phots I received that it does have the aluminum spinner and not the plastic one mentioned in one of the MSBs. I have also been looking over the know problems with the 532.

Thanks for your input. Is there an owners list of the KF i's I would like to see one that has been completed.

Jim

Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Thanks, but that is a little bit scary!!!! I have been flying a Aranaca Champ and was suprised to find that the take off and landings are not that much diferent from a trike. I have not soloed it yet, but I will get there.

Is there any problem with me increasing the size of the vertigal stab to that of the model 4?

It looks to me that the 912 would be a waste. 65 HP ought to be abel to pull an 850 Lb plane just fine. Without being tempted to excede the Ve speed of 90 MPH.

I see that there were only 257 model ones made, the model 2 coming out in 1989. The one I am buying is said to be a 1988 model one. But the owner says it has 13 gal wing tanks. What I find says the model one had cowl mounted tank???? Remember this is an unassembled kit with only minor work being done so far. The ribs have been attached to spars, control linkage attached and floor boards attached. Basicaly every thing else is still in the box. This one has the 532 and the model 2 had a 582.

Jim

Hi Jim, does the Model I your looking at have the round cowl or the flat one as some of the first ones had? About the 532, I would sell it and find a 582 even a rebuilt grayhead would be better than the 532 IMHO as the 532 only has single ignition does not have oil injection, the 582 has a better torque curve and is more reliable than the 532.
    You are right that 62/65 hp is enough power I have a Model III that weighs in empty at 530 Lbs 1050 gross, and 60 hp does great with it. As for increasing the size of the rudder/fin that is very doable and since the plane is still bare this would be the time to do it, or you could check my photos and increase the area as I did simple and it improved the flight characteristics nicely

Good luck with your project.
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 09-19-2010 at 06:11 AM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Thanks Mnflyer, I am planing on modifing the rudder & stab I might even add some ribs to it to make it a flying surface airfoil. I will probably stick with the 532 as I want to get this project in the air for as little as possible then move up to one of the newer models with more room and larger payload. This project is a test to see if I like building kits and can get the thing finished in a resonable time frame.

Yes it does have the round cowl.

Jim

Will I did it, My wife and I drove from Waco TX to OKC then picked up another couple and made the trip to Shborgan (SP) WI. We found the KF model I to be in good condition, and the only thing missing is the glass work. The doors should be no problem, but if anyone has a template for the windshield I could sure use it.

It is number 234 and I think a lot of the hard work has already been done. All of the linkage had been sorted out brackets made and test fitted. I have been removing it one section at a time cleaning some light rust off and painting, then re-installing.

I have been reading and studing the manuel and locating parts. It appears that the former owners did a great job of keeping everthing together. Right down to a DENNY KITFOX baseball cap still in the plastic bag. I have decided not to wear it until I complete the project.

I find no mention of rudder trim on the model I so I assume there was none, has anyone done anything about this?

It even came with a tow bar, I doubt if I will use it, but maybe I can make a trailer out of it.

Jim

P.S. don't let the (Thrill-Seeker)name bother you thats from my RC pylon racing I take flying very seriousley. I have another nick name, but Sudden Impact is worse than thrill seeker. LOL

Congrats on your new airplane Jim, have fun building.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Smile Re: Kitfox 1 ?

Jim,

I've been around Kitfoxes and Avids since the very beginning. And I've flown most every model at one time or another. I own a Model IV - 1200 Kitfox with a 912, but also have an Avid A-model (serial number 26 - so it is about 2 years older than Model 1 Kitfox), and it was repowered from a Cuyuna to a Rotax 532 back in it's early life. I put 880 absolutely trouble free hours on that little 532, and I never once overhauled it or tore it down for even an inspection. I basically abused the hell out of it, but it just kept plugging along. It had single ignition that was controlled by a set of points, and I used skidoo petroleum based (Blizzard) snowmobile oil at a 50:1 ratio that I dumped right in the gas. So if it were me, I'd fly that 532. BUT I would probably send it over to one of the rotax experts to have it inspected (sitting around isn't good for any engine) and resealed, and to have the water pump seal update done to it. And if you really want to go all out put a nippondenso electronic ignition unit on it. The 582 is just an improved 532, but in reality, the 532 makes about 10 hp more (I dyno'd mine so I know that for a fact - 73 hp with a stock Rotax pipe). And as far as reliability goes, AVID flew a specially built Avid to the North Pole non-stop from France in 1987. And yes, it was 532 powered. So don't underestimate that little ol' 532. It is a good motor.

Now for the airframe you have; Just like my early Avid, your early kitfox is super lightweight compared to the newer versions. My Avid A model with the 532 weighed 396 lbs on wheels ready to fly, and with that 532 pumping out power like it does it willl climb EASILY over 2000 fpm. You'll be hard pressed today to find a newer kitfox that can do that. (On a winter day with just me and 5 gallons of fuel it will maintain 2,500 fpm...Seriously! It is a little rocketship) All that said, that is the beauty of the early airplanes. Don't ruin that by trying to make your old Kitfox too much like a new one. I'm not berating the newer airplanes for their performance, as I love my Model IV. But for just plain old fun flying on a budget an early Avid or Kitfox is hard if not impossible to beat. They just aren't as nice when you want to travel further from homeas the newer versions are roomier and cruise a bit faster. But the old ones take off an land much shorter than the newer heavier versions. For local booney bashing on a budget, they have no competition. Check out "snaps Avid Flyer on floats" on you tube ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjDSatUSoCY ) to see how an early light Avid performs with a 532. It will blow you away.

So if I had your kit I would build it more or less as it was originally intended. The larger tank is a good idea. Increasing the elevator is not necessary as long as you keep the airplane light. And I definitely wouldn't screw around with adding heavy ribs in the tailfeathers. Just more weight. I would do all I could to keep it light. Heightening the vertical and rudder is an ok idea as I don't think it would gain you much weight, and it will help the adverse yaw a bit. But really, even that is really not an issue. If you learn to fly your model 1 well, you will be a better stick and rudder guy. And the adverse yaw in-actuality makes the airplane more maneuverable/nimble. And the fact is, unless you did MAJOR, SERIOUS modifications to that model 1, it still won't fly like a 4. There are just too many things different between the early and later airplanes. IMHO you'd be better off selling the 1 to buy a newer project if your objective is different than fun local flying. Oh yeah, fwiw your Model 1 is also one of the best /easiest airplanes to trailer as the wing folding was easier than the newer airplanes. So if you want to go further, take your camper and a trailer and live in style

One mod I WOULD DO do based on my memory of early kitfox concerns; I would make a nice strong 4130 flat strap that ran between the longeron brackets that hold the wing struts onto the fuselage, as a safeguard in the case that either bracket were to fail. Or I would strengthen the strut attach brackets on the fuselage to be more like the Avid Flyer, or like a newer Kitfox. If you can, look at any Avid and you will see the difference...the bracket is superior in strength, and since it is what holds the wings on the plane, and because we all have the tendency to fly overweight at times, it is cheap insurance. Fwiw - I would do this with any Model 1 or 2 Kitfox as they were both of the same design, and as I recall somewhat improved on the 3 and newer. I personally would copy the Avid strut attach as it is a superior design, but more difficult to build / manufacturer.

Other than that...go out and enjoy your super light hot rod kitfox. They are a blast to fly!

Paul S
    Central Wisconsin
    Model IV -1200, Model IV-1050, Avid Flyer A-model with 532, and the original Avid Flyer SN1 (aka Kitfox) cuyuna powered prototype. (Can you tell I like these little airplanes? I've been flying them since 1986)