Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tire questions

Default Tire questions

Hello,everyone...I searched for answers,but didn't find what I needed. I have the 8" wheels and am looking for replacement tires... the only smooth that I can find are Nanking n800,but they are 21x12-8...too big for me I thinks. I figure that 20x7-8 (or there about) should be good. The only thing close seems to be a Carlisle dimpled knobby (18x9.5-8)that has a load capacity of 625 lbs. Don't know if I want knobbies. Do you guys check load ratings when you look for tires? The KF that I bought has Duro 16x6.5-8 ribbed tires that don't even have a load ratings on them...(golf cart tires,maybe). Shouldn't tires need to be capable of some speed and load capacity? Please chime in on what you've got.
    Last edited by Ehfox; 09-02-2010 at 09:05 AM.

Default Re: Tire questions

I have had the Nankangs on my 4 now for over two years and have been very happy with them. I was concerned at first with the load rating but they have worked out well and when(if ever) they wear out,I will get another set.
    Dick Maddux
    Milton,Fl
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've had the nanking or like tires forever, love them. I will say to keep the air at 10psi, what happens at lower air pressure, the tire will oblong. I thought 6 would be ok, I had thump thump all the way out to the runway, I landed on the asphalt and thought the wheels were going to fall off, the vibration from out of round tires were terrible. I went and filled the tires up to 10 and no more problems.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

10 psi works out well for me also. I have one tire I have to top up once in awhile.
    Stepping on the tire also helps us short guys to get into the airplane ! So,it's a double benefit.
    Dick

I never use the tire to get in the plane, I'm 5'6. I did take out the rudder stop in the back so the stick goes all the way forward, I do have a make shift stop on the floor to the stick to prevent bind up and breakage of the controls. Now to clean the window, yup, I use the tire for that one.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks for the replies...another tire I'm considering is the Goodyear "smooth terra slick"...it is 18x9.5-8 and has a higher load cap.than the Nanco. Is that getting too small in diameter for unpaved runways or landing in fields? Is it a good idea to put in tubes(less chance of leaks/blow-outs)?
    Last edited by Ehfox; 09-02-2010 at 09:39 AM.

If you are going off field I wouldn't even concider a smaller tire. I would never concider tubes, to much of a chance of spinning the tire and ripping off the stem. I've done it on the nose wheel of my rv and it isn't fun. If you have a problem with a leaking tire, shoot some fix a flat in the tire, I've done that and fixed leaks in the bead in the past, if the rim is buffed real good it really doesn't leak, at least mine doesn't but maybe a pound every couple weeks. Not a problem for me, I also carry a bicycle pump on board, but have never needed it.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop