Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would like a plane...

Default I would like a plane...

I am (soon to be re-certified) a private pilot with a "passed" medical. Not seeking LSA status.

Want a Series 7 with a Rotax 912S. Mission: 1) Fun with my 2 boys (wife likes tea and a pillow when flying... she has no interest sadly, but glad I am interested in something other than work), 2) Take a 500 mile trip once in a while and an occasional Oshkosh, 3) commute to northern Vermont during the weekends in the summer months (250 mile trip each way)...

Challenge: I have the energy for family and business, but I can't spend 1,500 hours building a plane. I built a boat and I am so type-A that I would spend all night sessions and ignored everything else and that project darned near killed me (700 hours)... Building a plane is not something I can put aside for a season or a year, I'd be thinking about the project day and night... Excellent fit and finish are important to me, no such thing as "good-nuff".

So, instead of buying an LSA craft and living with 1,320 lbs limitations and no (occasional) night flying, I guess I have to "build" one to achieve 1,550 lbs gross-- which is hugely important to me... but what does "build" mean specifically? That's my question please...

1) Do I have to solely build it (i.e. I actually, by myself, perform more than 51% of the $ value? the project time?)? Or, can I hire folks to build most of it and therefore I would be "contracting" it? Preserving the ability to perform future maintenance myself is not a big issue for me. I'd like to perform the maintenance for cost savings and flexibility, but it's not a deal-breaker.

2) The LSA / non-LSA rules are extremely confusing... I have researched the subject and I read about FAA build approvals providing experimental privileges, but "but cannot fly at night"... I'm stuck on the facts.

Finally, when I pull the trigger, as many of you folks have, it'll probably be after I find a house and figure out how to finance it... we are moving soon.

Thank you all fellow T'Kitfoxers for any advice for a guy with a severe case of "plane on the brain..."
    Last edited by Andrew G; 08-29-2010 at 03:16 PM.
    NOKITFOXYET

Default Re: I would like a plane...

To answer part of your question, as I understand the rules, if you don't do enough work to qualify as the builder the plane would still be Experimental, Amateur Built, you just wouldn't qualify to get a repairman's certificate for your aircraft. There are builder's assist people out there who could speed the time from start of build to first flight, including a jumpstart program offered by the folks at Kitfox. Check with John McBean to see what that entails. You might check with a local EAA chapter to get in contact with a friendly DAR who might give you more insight into where the line might be drawn.

As an experimental, you could still do all the work on it except for the annual conditional inspection, which would have to be signed off by an A&P. It would be the same as if you'd purchased an experimental somebody else had built, which from the sounds of things might be something you may want to look in to.

That said, I am enjoying the build a lot more than I thought I would, and I really like knowing the quality of work used in building the plane and what all the little "wiggly bits" do and where they fit. It's a great aircraft, good luck whichever way you go.
    Last edited by Wiley; 08-29-2010 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks for the info Wiley...

I agree with you re knowing your plane and all... that is a major side benefit of building one-self. If I could "sub-contract" and buy as much as the pre-build that Kitfox has to offer that may be the way to go. Still unclear as to the "rules" however... I am hoping someone knows of a website with the rules all spelled out for a layman like me...

Waiting on a Series 7 already built, with a Rotax, with a glass panel @ 1,550 lbs allowable may take a life time.

I know a little about the head-start program at Kitfox, but the problem for me is taking all that time off - in one shot. I'm on the East Coast, there are multiple trips to make to ID assuming I had it built out there...

Thanks again.
    NOKITFOXYET

Regards the on-site factory build, I think you should call John or Debra at Kitfox. My understanding is that it is a lot less than you think.

Good luck, and welcome to the Kitfox family.

Tommy Walker in Alabama
    (Newbie)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
    I know a little about the head-start program at Kitfox, but the problem for me is taking all that time off - in one shot. I'm on the East Coast, there are multiple trips to make to ID assuming I had it built out there...
    With Kitfox's 'Jump Start' program, you only need to spend 4 days at the factory. You can show up Monday morning and be home Thursday night. Much of the work is done prior to and after your time there. You end up with a completely covered aircraft that still falls into to the 51% criteria. Saves you roughly six months of build time.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

That sounds like a winner... I'll call John and Deb.

Thanks, Andrew
    NOKITFOXYET

Yeah, I spoke to Travis... great guy... and a very nice plane. I'm stunned that that plane (or any planes frankly) hasn't moved yet. 2 years ago, it would have moved on day 1.

I am making a super long term decision... and I decided on a new 7 series with a Rotax 912S and glass panel... Basically what the McBeans advertise for the LSA, except I have to figure out how to build it and achieve 1,550 and night flight.

Thanks, Andrew
    NOKITFOXYET

Sounds like a good choice - am going that same direction myself, except for the 912 - am still researching a couple of other engine choices.

As for the SS7 - looks like we're gonna have to build one - haven't seen one for sale in a long long time. They must be too popular to sell, and I can understand why. For myself, I am going to have to go the LSA route.

Let us know what you finally decide on.

Regards
    Rodney

Rodney, I am fortunate to have Dorsal in my area... Dorsal just finished a Series 7... he's a very informed guy about matters aviation and now Kitfox construction... and I got to see his plane close up and flying...

Basically, that's what I want, but the Son of a gun won't sell it to me and start a new one

So, we are in this search together, I'll let you know what i learn.
    NOKITFOXYET

Why not build to these requirements but maintain the documentation for LSA? There is nothing saying that you cannot build to the 1550 gross weight, but still have it documented to the LSA required 1320 max t/o weight. (Lighting is a non-issue for LSA.)

This will guarantee you a higher re-sale value as an LSA rather than experimental amateur-built.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos