Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I would like a plane...

Default Re: I would like a plane...

Av8... you make a lot of sense... my problem is that i don't know the rules and haven't found a place on the net that presents the LSA/Experimental "rules" in a way that I can understand what can be done in either case... or to preserve the LSA status... despite building a heavier yielding weight plane...

I'll definitely keep this in mind, thank you.
    NOKITFOXYET

I believe the issue is between building (1550 MTOW) or buying a prebuilt SLSA (1350 MTOW). Looks to me like the builder program is a good option, might even lend you a hand if needed
    Last edited by Dorsal; 08-31-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

My understanding is the only difference between the 1320 LSA and the 1550 bird is the gear on the higher gross weight aircraft is just a little bit thicker. Other than than that, I believe they are exactly the same. Maybe Mark or John can confirm.

This is about differences in certification not differences in the panes. It is my understanding that for Kitfox Aircraft to manufacture and sell a complete plane it needs to be certified as an LSA, when we are the builder we can certify it however we want (more or less). Once certified as an LSA the plane cannot be legally flown over 1320 and the certification can not be changed after the fact.
    Again this is only my understanding of the "rules"
    Last edited by Dorsal; 08-31-2010 at 03:43 PM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi all, There is a new, around 30 hrs, series 7 for sale on Barnstormers, on about page three, after you search Kitfox. It is up in BC Canada , glass panel and Jabiru 3300 if I remember right. It might be worth looking at. Kevin

I believe any kit you buy and build from Kitfox will be Experimental, Amateur Built; Experimental LSA is not an option. However, if you meet the requirements with the paperwork and options, such as 1320 gross on paper (even if it's really 1550 by design) and prop non-adjustable inflight, yadda yadda, a sport pilot may legally fly it. The factory produced aircraft are indeed LSA. Just clarifying. I'll check and see if I can find a site that has a clear concise explanation of the rules.

Thanks guys... I think all of this LSA/Experimental stuff today --- harkens back to the days when I started flying... i.e. when all the planes on the tarmac were new and the upholstery wasn't ripped... so, yes that was a LONG time ago... it was also a time when the legal system commenced abusing GA... Lawyers pushed the notion that Pilot Error didn't exist, it therefore must be the airframe and engine guys.

Anyway, LSA has benefits for Pilots (no medical, blah...) but it also protects GA manufacturers (Vans, KitF, Glasair) from unfounded legal actions... so if I am getting it right, I believe those firms aren't "certifying" the aircraft and therefore if a pilot buys it, he/she is fully responsible.

I studied the Lycoming site the other day and they sell "Uncertified Engines"... I've got to believe it's a legal strategy to protect their companies from any direct or implied "guarantees"... and therefore informed adults like us pilots (and our insurance companies) take the risk. Therefore, the "legal cost item" of "guaranteed/certified products" is lessened and GA flying starts to become semi-affordable again.

Personally, I believe the GA industry had no choice, the LSA rules make sense for a lot of pilots and some GA manufacturers have exploited this niche... and companies like the aforementioned can have the freedom to operate without looking over their shoulders for opportunistic lawsuits... and therefore keep costs down.

So... again, if anyone can clarify the rules re Experimental/LSA with respect to 51%...

1) is it documented labor by the owner only?

2) Can the owner subcontract and get paid help and still get credit for the 51% ?

3) Is it $$ value, i.e. value of work vs documented hours ???)

Thanks, Andrew
    NOKITFOXYET

84KF

Amateur Built 51% Rule Questions and Answers

http://www.eaa.org/govt/ab_qa.asp

--------------------------------
    Department of
    Transportation
    Federal Aviation Administration
    14 CFR Parts 1, 21, et al.
    Certification of Aircraft and Airmen for
    the Operation of Light-Sport Aircraft;
    Final Rule

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/sport_rule.pdf

Leni...., tell me to stop here.

LMAO.. Sorry, I was gonna ask when you were going to chime in.. and it took all I had to stay out of the 1320 "gross" statements.. why stop now Steve?

84KF... thank you for the links... very helpful.

Bottom line... I have to build 51%, and prove it, if I want 1,550 gross -- under the "new plane" scenario".

My wife will kill me.
    NOKITFOXYET