Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Elt

Default Elt

I did a search and didn't come up with any information. Does anyone have a recommendation for an ELT? This is my final purchase/install component.

Lane
    KF Model IV-1200 N356RL (nearing completion and certification)

Default Re: Elt

I am waiting on the ACK 406 ELT, I expect we are going to have to use them eventually and this one seems most reasonably priced (and will take GPS input standard). Problem is they are not certified yet but according to their website should be any day now. I also think John and Deb may carry them when they are available, not sure on lead time though.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

The FCC has backed down a bit on trashing 121.5 ELT’s while pushing the requirement to have a 406 beacon down the road a little further than originally thought.

As far as I know, it is still legal to sell, buy, install and operate a 121.5 ELT and they are dirt cheap. I bought an Artex 200 with remote switch connector on ebay for $25. It needed a new battery for $43.75. It works fine. At some point in the future I may or may not have to change it. But for $70, right now,it’s hard to beat.

One point my mechanic brought up is how do you test a 406 beacon? No one on the airport has a receiver capable of hearing it. For now, the local CAP can’t track them. Anyone with an aviation VHF can hear a 121.5 ELT.

In my C177RG I communicate on Com 1. I keep Com 2 on 121.5 with the audio to the speaker so I can listen for ELT’s. As a bonus, it’s tuned and ready if I need it for myself.

If you can put off a 406 purchase the prices will probably fall. You might get a wider selection, too..

Unless you’re convinced the 406 will save your butt and the 121.5 beacon won’t, then I’d go for the bargain 121.5 now and a lower price 406 later. As a side note: The aircraft Sen. Ted Stevens was killed in had a brand new 406 beacon installed… it didn’t work.

JP

actually an elt isnt required for phase I , if you dont want to rush into a purchase you dont have to . seems to me i had the question when i was going over the fars before i flew mine . i contacted the dar that did my inspection and asked him , he sent me the far ref that states the elt isnt required until phase I is completed and your not test flying it anymore.
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Also a consideration is the type of terrain you can be flying in. Here in Montana I went for the new ELT. I liked the idea of a switch on the panel that I could turn on before coming down in an off field environment. Touching down in a dense patch of Douglas Fir could well not set off an ELT
    Chuck

All newly installed ELTs after June 21, 1995 must meet TSO C91a and have a panel mounted switch.There must also be an indicator lamp or horn indicating the ELT is activated. New installations may not use ELT with TSO C91.

JP