Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Reaming Holes for bolts

Default Reaming Holes for bolts

Hi,

I'm just getting started on my KF7 and the first thing I've run into is how to ream the elevator mount holes. The hole is so close to the rear stabilizer spar that a drill won't fit on the reamer. I wonder how others have solved this problem.

Thanks,

Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: Reaming Holes for bolts

Take an old screwdriver and weld the tip to the base of the reamer, forming an "L" shape. You can then work the reamer back and forth until it slides easily in the hole.

Turning a reamer backwards is the fastest way to ruin it.

Simply grind four flats on the end of the reamer shank, then use a small open-end or adjustable wrench to turn the reamer in one direction (RH) only.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

A note on reamers.

There are two types we are interested in: Chucking and hand reamers. Chucking reamers are designed to be inserted into a chuck - Usually a drill press or Lathe. These have parallel flutes the entire length of the reamer with a 45 degree cutting edge on the free end. By hand, they are not as easy to center into the undersized predrilled hole and since they cut essentially like a drill bit it is easy to cut an offset hole when used in a hand drill. Reaming tubing, they will eventually center themselves, but the first half inch or so will be pretty crusty. Used with a Lathe or drill press, they will be spot on. The shank is smooth its entire length.

The Hand reamers are slightly tapered, so they can be partially inserted into the hole and will give a more accurate alignment. They also have the squared shank end for use with a tap handle or a wrench.

Lowell

i second that , never turn a reamer backwards
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Many thanks friends, I am well on my way to reaming out these holes based on your advice. Plus I got an education on the types of reamers available!

Tommy Walker in Alabama

Another hint, slightly off topic, get a set of numbered bits. While reaming to the *correct* size is good, if the bolt is even .001 over-sized (and some will be) they won't fit through the hole.

Wayne