Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: choke or primer

Default choke or primer

I am having problems finding a dual carb choke cable assembly that is long enough. Any thoughts on using only a primer on the carb and not using the chokes at all. I do plan on some day installing skis for flying off snow so will be flying in much colder weather and I am concerned about cold weather starting.Any input is greatly appreciated

Default Re: choke or primer

I have a primer only in my 912 (if that is the engine you are referring to) and it has worked fine. I was going to replace it with a choke system as I live in Fl but really saw no need to. I think either way you go will be fine .
    One caveat would be that if you have a carb problem at some point,it would be easier to troubleshoot with a choke than a primer as spelled out in the maint manual.
    Dick

I went to a local bicycle shop for the cable and sheeth. A replacement set of bicycle brake cables worked perfect with my enricheners and only cost about $10.00.

I have a Gray top 582 and have always used a primer. I have had 0 problems with priming and I have done a fair amount of winter flying at temps from -10 to -25. My only advise to you would be to buy a good primer. The cheap one's tend to leak.

Ran all winter in northern Wisconsin and the U.P. of Michigan on skis with OEM enrichener circuits only on my 912UL. (There is no "choke on a 912.)

I see no reason to change.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

On the 912 it is actualy a starting carburator not an enricher. However it is generally refered to as a choke. You have your basic enricher on the 2 stroke.

I have milked in engines before on the primer after fuel pump failures. Primers are the way to go in my book.