Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jacking solutions for Kitfox's

Default Re: jacking solutions for Kitfox's

Quote Originally Posted by akarmy View Post
    For the Grove gear here's what I did. You can also search the archives for many posts on ways to jack up various types of gear setups.

This also looks like a great solution for those with grove gear. I know the kitfox is pretty light, however, you may consider making the block out of a good high grade piece of plywood. I once used a bottle jack to lift my boat up slightly to slip a piece of carpet on the trailer bunk.. I used a block of wood like you have pictured... then the wood block split. Made a nice hole in the bottom of the boat in a area I really did not want a thru hull fitting . Not a good way to treat my poor 68 Chris Craft plank boat. Boy are the mahogany planks expensive and a pain in the butt to replace!

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    I have a set of jacks that I got from Airdale that work wonderful. They go from the floor to the lift strut attach point on the wing (the front to rear tube connecting the two lift struts). Much safer than a lego-style stack of wood blocks and a bottle jack...

Brett designed them to lift an Avid/Kitfox to attach floats.

Could you post or mail some pictures of those jacks please ?

Thanks,
    Tuna

image.jpg

This is what I have now. I'll try to remember to take a few more when I get over to the hangar.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

No jack necessary.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pictures say it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How and where can I support it best during a gear exchange?

Any experiences?

If I were to drop the gear, I would do it by supporting the aircraft at the lift strut bracket point as shown in AV8R's picture.

To take the landing gear off my model 4 I have two saw horses. One is the right height to just fit under the very front of the fuselage. With that one in place under the front of the fuselage I lift the tail up about so the fuselage is in level flight with the front of the fuselage resting on the front saw horse and the main wheels are off the floor then slide the second saw horse under the rear of the fuselage.

Put a board long enough to reach from the floor to the wing tip under each wing tip to stabilize it while you are removing and replacing the gear.

Be very careful using jacks or props under the strut attach fittings or anywhere under the wings for that matter. One slip and there's a nice hole in your wing.
    Last edited by t j; 04-23-2016 at 02:44 PM.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Scott, where is the lift point on your system? It's hard to see on the photo.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Hi Ross, I have 8"by 8" blocks on the top of the screw jacks. They sit were the diagonal meets the firewall. The blocks have 10 degree slope to match the fuselage. I am going to put a 2" by 8" the width of the fuselage across to distribute the weight a little better.

Worked out great for rotating my tires. I didn't even need a jack to lift. The screw stand did the trick.

Scott