Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Elevator rigging

Default Elevator rigging

I'm in the process of rigging flight controls. The manual mandates 29 degrees up and 24 degrees down relative to the horizontal stabilizer. I'm getting 26 up and 16 down. The elevator's level with the horizontal stab when the stick is vertical (airframe level). Is this range adequate? Appreciate any and all feedback.

Lane
    N356RL nearing inspection and first flight
    KOSC

Default Re: Elevator rigging

Lane,
    Which plane are you building? on the 7 this range is controlled by some stop screws and is easy to get right, 11 deg off on range seems like allot to me.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Lane,

Is it the forward edge of the seat or interference at the rudder post that is limiting up elevator. If it is the seat, you may want to adjust the linkages to the push pull tube to increase the lengths there. Stick position with neutral elevator is relative. The elevator up limit is usually the push pull tube hitting the rudder post and not much you can do there without some welding.

My take on all this is that up elevator is most important as that is what we worry about on the three point landing, slow flight and stalls. Down elevator is not as critical as we seldom if ever need all of it in the normal flight envelope.

Lowell

I've got a Model IV-1200. Down elevator hits the brace in the tail section and up is limited by the stick coming in contact with the forward frame member supporting the seat.

Lane

I just checked the builders manual - 1993. It says to adjust the rod ends so that the aft rod end touches the rudder post at the same time the stick hits the seat. It is not clear if that refers to the fiberglass shell or the upholstery. My take on this is that the rudder post is the measuring point, as adjusting the rod ends will only move the stick relative to that. In the older models, all control stops were near the control surfaces themselves rather than in the cockpit as on the newer models.

Lowell

...thanks again to all for guidance; now have 16 degrees down and 27 up--closer or "more better" as we say in medicine!

Lane