Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: aileron bell crank assembly bolt upside down???

Default aileron bell crank assembly bolt upside down???

in build manual for 2007 Super Sport the figure b-12 I think for the aileron bell crank assembly shows the bolt coming from bottom and nut on top. I am new to this kind of work and I was lead to believe that any bolt and especially one on something this critical should be installed from above so if the nut did happen to come loose it would not drop out of the hole and make the control of the aileron or whatever impossible.

What am I missing here? Is there some reason this bolt should be installed from bottom up?

Default Re: aileron bell crank assembly bolt upside down???

I think you will find on that particular bolt there is very limited clearance to the cross tube (nut would not clear the tube).
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I believe every one of my Avid, Avid+ and Kitfox III builder manuals said to place nuts up on all vertical bolts in the flight control assemblies for observation during pre-flight inspections.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

on my model 4 if put in from the top the nut would hit the rear edge of the wooden flooring and not permit movement of the flapperons. May be a clearance issue on the 7's as well but not sure.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear