Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Fuselage Stringers

Default Fuselage Stringers

Having questions where the fuselage side stringers go at the tail end. Manuel says to tie the ends together but cant figure out if they pass thru the frame or stay on the outside all the way back. Seems they have quite a bow. Anyone have a pic of the tail end of the side stringers?

Default Re: Fuselage Stringers

Shape the ends to fit into the cross tube. Refer to Detail "C" of the stringer installation. Hers's how finished ends look:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark; 08-16-2010 at 04:49 AM.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

Bob,

Here is a photo down the side from the back. Hit your + + key a couple times and focus in on the detail

Sincerely,
    Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912 ULS Warp

Good info guys. Now I can move on to more complicated building. Its amazing how you can get hung up on the simplest things. If I had installed them yesterday they would have been WRONG. Built 2 wings perfect but can't get a stick glued on the side.
    Thanks again !

Question Help with stringer aft end location

Looking at the two pics above I see what appears to be a contradiction. Dave's photo shows the stringer ending at the larger (7/16) tube that runs diagonally and Mark's shows it ending further back at the smaller (3/8) tube that runs nearly vertically. My manual show it as Mark has it, but I am finding that this requires the stringer to bend out and around the large diagonal tube. Any thoughts on this?

Default Re: Help with stringer aft end location

Mine ran back to that same point too Steve. The stringer does have a slight bulge to it at that point. That is based on what John Mc told me in a separate email.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

For the stringers, I did not like the stringer bowing out over the 7/16" tube and elected to terminate the stringer at the 7/16" tube.

I have attached two photos with the covering on looking towards the tail - the lack of the bulge/bow is what I was looking for.

The third photo also shows another deviation from the plan I made for the inside tube of the elevator - I wanted a straight transition from the big spar tube to the small elevator frame tube - on that one I had already covered it and didn't like it - tore off the fabric - worked in the gussets and re-covered - probably cost me a couple ounces which were more than made up for by cutting the tailwheel horns of the rudder.

Guess this is why we call these aircraft "Experimental"; but, that's just me......

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp

That's a nice photo of the tail section Dave. Looking at my uncovered frame I would have guessed terminating the stringer at the earlier tube would eliminate the bulge but echo the diagonals at the tail. Apparently not so. It looks smooth and sleek. I may change mine from the factory position to the forward position like yours. Easy enough to modify now before the covering goes on.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

John,

If a person had the non-airfoiled tail I think that would change the equation with the tail diagonals - the diagonals probably would press the fabric out.

With the airfoiled tail, the fiberglass fairing on the back edge of the vertical stabilizer holds the fabric so the diagonals don't bulge out with the stringer terminating ahead of the diagonal.

Sincerely,

Dave S