Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shortfield landing tecnique

Default Re: Shortfield landing tecnique

Whoa,Whoa I was just trying to help the new guy ! He was looking for a plane that would operate on his small strip. Function is the idea here and the 701 would probably fit the bill. Beauty wasn't mentioned.
    I personally think the IVO prop that all you guys use is "butt ugly" but have been somewhat convinced that functionally it is a good prop.( I am keeping my Kiev)
    "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" as the saying goes otherwise,all us ugly guys would never get a good looking women to make us feel bad about flying. (or at least try)
    Dick

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I'd rather drive 35 miles one way to fly any Kitfox than a 701 on my own strip. Sorry guys. It's a one trick pony and one butt ugly pony at that.
    New 701 formula: Ugly=drag. The ones for sale on Barstormer were most likely replaced with Kitfox's. Give me a break!

Well, I agree. That's why my 3rd homebuilt is a KF project that I'm still inventorying. The level of workmanship of the parts is hands down better with this KFSS kit.

Whoa,Whoa I was just trying to help the new guy !
    If it was the answer you'd be flying one and this would be called Team701.com. We all fly a beautiful looking, flying STOL aircraft called the Kitfox. If you don't think your Kitfox is in the STOL category you haven't learned how to fly it yet or you built it too heavy. Cross country, STOL, baggage capacity, comfortable cabin, endurance, beauty and exciting handling characteristics. It gets an A+ in all categories. I couldn't recommend a 701 to anyone or for that matter most other brands.
    Ya, we all know the Kiev is pretty. Glad you like it. Just know it's costing you 15 mph and 300 ft.+ per minute climb. Just trying to help you Dick.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

right on steve , if only the rotax could be made to sound like a turbo compounded R-3350 and ofcourse still burn 4gph .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

just put a big sound system in and hang a bass in the rear fuse and than cut out slots to let the sound out. Now turn her up and let it rip. Now your in there with the idiots that irritate me at a stop light. Not only that, if you fly low you can now irritate the heck out of the neighbors.

I love my white and quiet kitfox, I can do whatever I want.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

More landing scenarios and quit telling me what a cool plane I have. More landing facts to get those landing distances to about 150'. Is it generally better to use more RPM and hang it on the prop with power or use closed throttle and flare just before touchdown? You are right though, if the 701 were car, it would be an AMC "PACER" !!!!

what an ugly thing that was, my mother use to call it a pregnant mushroom.

I've always had better luck with running on the prop to land short.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Ya hanging it on the prop works better.
    Ty
    Kitfox IV-1200

Well Flying Fox see what you caused (ha,ha..just kidding) now everyone has the RA (red ass) because I mentioned some other aircraft other than a Kitfox for your use. Don't be so sensitive guys. Having owned over 14 airplanes so far I know the Kitfox is not the only answer to every type of flying(nor is any other aircraft) I like my Kitfox just fine(and no Steve I have not lost any cruise speed with my Kiev) but might I have another aircraft in the future...you bet!..or maybe not,might die first.
    Can I land in short areas like you guys do...no. We don't have any cool places to land.(except maybe on an oil slick on the beach) The technique I use at my grass field is pretty much the same as you guys use but as we have no mountains/short strips the motavation is not there to do it "on the gnats ass"
    I grew up in the West and I really miss it ! You guys are lucky!
    Dick
    PS: Ty did you get the spinner ?

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERFOX View Post
    More landing scenarios and quit telling me what a cool plane I have. More landing facts to get those landing distances to about 150'. Is it generally better to use more RPM and hang it on the prop with power or use closed throttle and flare just before touchdown? You are right though, if the 701 were car, it would be an AMC "PACER" !!!!
    If you want to come in as short as possible, full flaperons and as much power as it takes to keep the sink rate in check. On landing the elevator controls the speed, the power controls the sink rate. You are only going to be 2-3 MPH above stall (if that) and hanging it all on the line, but it is a lot of fun when you are out on a very small gravel bar or dirt strip fishing away, and there are other planes circling around trying to figure out just how the (bad word) you got to where you are!