Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shortfield landing tecnique

Default Re: Shortfield landing tecnique

Airlina & Newkid, I want to thank each of you for your responses. Years ago, I flew over my proposed runway in both my Champ and Cub and never did feel comfortable that I could make it work on every take off and landing. One landing or take off failure would be catastrophic and is something that goes against common sense.

I was just hoping that I could rig out a Kitfox S7 that would allow me to keep my plane at home and not have to travel 35 miles to the closest airport to fly. Some of my flying friends have runways on their property and it provides them with the freedom to push their plane out of the hanger and go flying at a moments notice. It looks like I will have to trailer my Kitfox to the New Braunfels, Texas airport or pay $200 per month for a T-hanger, something I was trying to avoid.

How about a Zenith 701/750 or a Savannah for your small strip ? They both takeoff/land on a postage stamp and are used all over the world. Thus the nickname "flying jeep"
    I am going to pickup a Savannah for a friend next week and fly it cross country to his home airport so will soon see how it flys.
    They are not very fast (neither is my Kitfox) but are probably the best for STOL. Check out YOU TUBE for some videos.
    Dick

Hi Flyingfox,
    Catz is right about the 701 if you want extreme STOL. The last one I built was sold to a farmer who was flying from a 750 foot strip behind his barn. Worked well. We could get off the ground in less than 100 feet and land in 200 or less. Cruise about 82mph at 4800 rpm with the Rotax 912S.

There are downsides to all that STOL though. That's why I'm building the KFSS. Several 701s are for sale on Barnstormers.

Good luck on whichever you decide to do!

Tommy Walker in Alabama
    Inventory Time

I'd rather drive 35 miles one way to fly any Kitfox than a 701 on my own strip. Sorry guys. It's a one trick pony and one butt ugly pony at that.
    New 701 formula: Ugly=drag. The ones for sale on Barstormer were most likely replaced with Kitfox's. Give me a break!

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    I'd rather drive 35 miles one way to fly any Kitfox than a 701 on my own strip. Sorry guys. It's a one trick pony and one butt ugly pony at that.
    New 701 formula: Ugly=drag. The ones for sale on Barstormer were most likely replaced with Kitfox's. Give me a break!
    Gotta agree with you on this one.. The 701 does not fly, it is so friggin ugly the earth repels it!

Defining the mission of a plane has always been an issue for me. (I want it all!) The Zenith 750 is definitely a top STOL performer and would meet my need for a home based plane.

However, I too really like the Kitfox S7. It is a great looking plane, it has a wide speed envelope (it is not an RV 7, but) and it looks like something that would be fun to build and fly! I have access to a nice J-3 Cub and a Hatz Bi-Plane that will provide me with my flying fix during the construction phase.

Great Forum! thanks to all you have taken the time to respond. It has given me a chance to look at some of my available options and make an informed decision.

An inexperienced pilot on an 850' strip with obstacles on both ends in a super-heavy 7SS is a one way trip to the morgue, "plane" and simple. This is the scenario that kills and/or maims most experimental pilots and passengers.

I have a 1000' strip on my property that is mostly open on both ends. This is not enough with sufficient safety margins for me, at this time. I have over 150 hours in my (625#, 80 hp) model IV practicing in and out short techniques. Maybe in the future, but not now. And maybe not ever.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I agree with you completely and have abandoned the idea of flying any aircraft off of my property. I was unfamiliar with the performance of a Kitfox and that is why I posted here. As I mentioned earlier, I would never landed my Cub or Champ on my property.

I wanted first hand, not advertised, numbers. I can just enjoy the 35 mile ride to and from the airport, rather than risking a dangerous landing or takeoff. The odds are never in your favor when you stake the deck against you. (it usually comes in threes: heavy, low, and slow) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    An inexperienced pilot on an 850' strip with obstacles on both ends in a super-heavy 7SS is a one way trip to the morgue, "plane" and simple. This is the scenario that kills and/or maims most experimental pilots and passengers.

I have a 1000' strip on my property that is mostly open on both ends. This is not enough with sufficient safety margins for me, at this time. I have over 150 hours in my (625#, 80 hp) model IV practicing in and out short techniques. Maybe in the future, but not now. And maybe not ever.
    yowsers... come on up for a little training camp.. I was just flying out of a slew with 50+' trees on each end that is less than a 1000'... on floats! Safety margin means you only have to pick leaves and twigs out of the tail braces and not actual limbs . What was impressive was the Cessna Caravan doing the same thing on amphibs.. But is is the baddest caravan on the planet right now with 1250+ hp in the nose! That thing does not even really get on step, just kind of rotates and as soon as the nose is pointed skywards it leaps out of the water.

Leni-- You and yours have a completely different take on flying than what we have down here in the crowded area of the country.

And your light weight AVID with a hot-rod 582 will do things that a 7SS with a overweight Continental on the nose can only dream of.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos