Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo to Alaska

Default Re: Solo to Alaska

Dan, thanks for the come back. I put it on hold during a bad marrage and almost lost it to her. Bought kit new in 98. It has been in storage 18 miles away and you know the saying out of sight out of mind. moving it now to continue. I just can't understand why people near me don't follow up when I make trips to see one in progress and ask to come back when they do a certain part and don't get the call. this has happened several times and then I see it flying on here. I promise I will never do that to anyone no matter what. My love of flying go so deep I would never let anyone down like that. I never wear out my welcome so I can come back ,but people these day are so caught up in life they forget. Maybe someone will see this and try harder to be supporting. I know that is my pledge to all who ask me now and as long as I can push a throttle farward. Thanks again Dan Eddie McCutchen

Congratulations!
    [I'm trying to decide what I envy the most. The trip, having time for the trip, or that big CLEAN hangar in the starting page...]

I saw the reply, check the date to my original post. I have flown that plane more than 400 hours since I read the solo story. That in the past two years. Thanks to great people in the community and astonishing circumstances.
    Wheels

I wish I could do this adventure, but you can’t be a SLSA Pilot and fly to Alaska. You have to have a Class III medical.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I think the correct wording would be: you need to have a current medical to fly in Canada.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

I was told to fly In Canada, a US certificated pilot needs a current Flight Medical and at least a Private Pilot certificate. I was also told that Canada does not recognize the Sport Pilot certificate.

If I am wrong on this please feel free to correct me, because I would like to know the facts as well.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I called and talked to Canadian Officials you must have a current Medical to Fly in Canada. I have an E-Mail from them explaining all of the requirements. I have a Private Pilots License, but I have been flying on my Drivers License no Medical.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Here's a quote from the Canadian Owners and Pilots Organization's Guide to Cross Border Flight Operations:

Licences and Certificates
    Licences that meet ICAO standards, including all Private Pilot, Commercial Pilot and Airline Transport Pilot Licences (Canada) and Certificates (US) are valid to fly your aircraft on either side of the border.
    Other permits and licences are not necessarily valid on the other side of the border. For example the Canadian Pilot Permit – Recreational Aeroplanes is only valid when flying a Canadian ultralight in the US under the blanket authority document. The Pilot Permit – Ultra-light Aeroplanes is not valid for flying in the US, unless you are flying a Canadian Ultralight and have an instructor rating and two hours of cross country time, as required in the blanket authority. Likewise US Recreational Pilot Certificates and Sport Pilot Certificates are not valid in Canada. Student Pilot Permits are not valid outside the issuing country.
    Ackselle
    Kitfox IV 1200 Classic C-GIKV
    29" Airstreaks, 11" Matco Tailwheel
    ROTAX 912, Hoffman HO-V352F CS Prop

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'm not sure if the SLSA's are allowed to fly in Canada but if they can, why don't you get a buddy with a private pilot license to ferry you through BC to Alaska?