Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Wing rebuild

Default Wing rebuild

Hi all, I am doing a rebuild on an Australian copy of the kitfox and have just started on the wings, the problem is the epoxy is delaminating from the alloy spars(it is good onto the timber ribs) I have to get it out without damaging the spars so I can replace it, has anyone had to go down this road before or are there some builders out there with some suggestions?
    If anyone is interested I have some youtube vids of the progress so far
    cheers Mat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu30alZVwZE

Default Re: Wing rebuild

I have not tried this, but they say you can heat up the epoxy with a hair dryer if you're patient enough(or with a heat gun if you're careful) and the epoxy will become plyable enough to pull off or cut off.

Nice looking plane by the way.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 08-08-2010 at 05:03 AM.

I can attest to the heat gun working very well to remove hysol when needed. I needed to adjust the spacing on some ribs on the tail feathers and used a heat gun to soften the epoxy and remove the excess. I was surprised how easy it made it. Just keep good spacing on the piece you're working on and take your time. As an aside, the hair dryer I tried didn't put out enough heat, and the heat gun I used was a small hobby gun which made it very easy to control.

All
    heat gun also worked very well for me but just be careful that you dont heat the spars up to much!!
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS