Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gap Seal material? What are you using?

Default Gap Seal material? What are you using?

Want to seal the gaps on the elevator/stab on a finished Model3. What materials / methods do you guys suggest? Thanks!

Default Re: Gap Seal material? What are you using?

Did mine with 2" wide, clear weatherproof duct tape from Home Depot. Put one strip along the top of the gap and another along the bottom. Works great. It's flexible and you can't tear it. You must cut it with sissors or a knife.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have used various types of tape over the years and it all hardens and turns out a mess. Sun does a number on it.
    Last year while going thru a flea market I found a guy selling rubber sheets,mats,etc. He had this wierd looking rubber about 6 ft long X 1 1/2 inch wide or so and it looked like this O-O in cross section ( figure 8). I bought it for a buck but had no clue what to do with it until it came to me.....elevator gap seal ! I cut the "O "s" vertically and had something like this..-C (imagine a backward c on the other side of the dash) I slid this right in the gap and it has been there over a year and works perfectly !!!! No yucky adhesive making a mess ! The rubber is about 1/8 inch foam and light as a feather .
    Problem is, he had several and I only bought one so don't have any idea what it is used for or where to get it. When I went back later to buy more,the guy was gone
    The color of the rubber is blue and my airplane is blue so a perfect match !. Any ideas what this stuff might be.It fits perfectly !!! If I ever find any more I will sure buy it !
    Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

I saw your post earlier about this foam stuff, and I like it's flexibility
    and it looks better than tape, however I have two concerns. First that I don't know where to get it, and second it looks like it could create as much turbulence as you want to stop.....

Regarding tape, what have you guys used for surface prep that is safe on my PolyFiber paint? just a basic safe cleaner to clean oil/wax or something else? I agree tape isn't best, but i hangar mine so I think tapes may work good.

Also those that taped, did you guys cut out slots where your hinges are, or cover over them?

LASTLY, DID ANYONE NOTICE A MEASURABLE DIFFERENCE IN ELEVATOR OR RUDDER AUTHORITY WITH THIS MOD?

Thanks everyone!

Wild Irish,
    I assure you that this absolutely does not cause any turbulance and I don't have the problem I have had using leading edge tape,ski tape,etc and that is the leading edge of the tape eventually loosing its grip and pealing upward. Now that cause turbulance. ! You will see. I have 4 different tapes I have used and they are exspensive ! The glue gets hard after a while and appears to crystalize,turn white and is a real mess to get off the skin.
    I really wish I had bought more of this stuff at the time but,who knew !
    As to whether it makes a great deal of difference,hard to say. I have combined this with VG's on the tail and I think both help a little.
    It's kind of like VG's on the wing. Do they make much difference aahhhh maybe a little but not like on my previous Piper Pacer. Does the electric trim make a difference...you bet ! the wider bush gear .... absolutely !
    I think all these mods help to make a more plesent flying airplane.
    I finally have all the bugs out (for me mind you) . The only thing that would make me happier is to own the new Kitfox with the Rotec radial and that fantastic cowl ! What a beauty ! Thanks again for doing that John !!!!

I covered right over the hinges. I do notice a difference. At slow speeds I have more control. After landing it is much easier to keep the nosewheel off the ground longer and set it down softer. Duct guarantees the tape I used will not yellow and will not get brittle. I've had it on for a year now and it is still pliable and clear. Sticks very well after cleaning the fabric.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Anyone used the Bowlus Tape used by the sailplane guys? One reseller claims "not to be used on control surfaces" but I think it's just a big disclaimer.

I noticed a huge difference when I gap sealed my elevator with duct tape. The landings were much easier to flair and low speed elevator response was much better.

I used two pieces, one across the top and one across the bottom of the gap. The yellow I got from the local hardware store matches my "lemon yellow" Polytone almost perfectly.

Now I'd like to try some VGs on the under side of the stab to see if they help further...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I'd like to explore other gap seal materials like Dick has on
    his blue and white baby - seems much smarter but never
    seen anything remotely like it (except that expensite Pitts stuff)
    Anyone seen anything OTHER than tape that they can get
    affordably anywhere?

There are a few options here:

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm