Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Adjustable Pedals

Default Adjustable Pedals

I didn’t like the adjustable rudder pedals geometry as designed.

The pedal movement is fine when adjusted to the forward position. However, when the pedals are in the aft position, the movement is an awkward upward arc.

The factory placement puts the rudder torque tube 2–7/16” aft of the firewall. I relocated the torque tube at 3-1/2” aft of the firewall. The pedal geometry and movement improved significantly.

By moving the torque tubes aft about one inch, the pedal assembly rotates into a more natural position in line with the pilot’s feet. The brake pedals also rotate slightly forward. The new position reduces torque tube interference with the brake cylinders and improves the brake line clearances.

Because the brake pedals are the limiting factor, foot clearance with the pedals all the way forward remains virtually unchanged.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX

Default Re: Adjustable Pedals

John-

How tall are you? I may be interested in doing the same...

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by flypdx View Post
    John-

How tall are you? I may be interested in doing the same...

Jeff
    Jeff, height is not the issue. It was the geometry. The factory position places the pedals and brakes at an angle that I think is too vertical. Several posting indicate many pilots have difficulty keeping their toes off the brakes.

I also wanted an improved position when moving the rudder pedal aft for shorter pilots. Although the brakes pedals move with a parallelogram motion the rudder pedal assemblies arc downward as they are adjusted aft. This makes for a funny feel when you are trying to keep you heels on the floor. Pressing a rudder moves the pedal forward and up. It's quite pronounced when the pedals are adjusted fully aft.

By moving the mounting aft about one inch, the pedals arc in a more natural motion closely following the action of your ankle joint.

The firewall is still the forward limit for the pedals, but I think the improved angle will help taller pilots. Taller pilots must bend their knees more. Bent knees tip the toes toward the floor. This new position helps alleviate the "scrunched up" feeling by allowing you to relax your toes forward.

At first, one would think moving the pedal assembly aft would give less foot room, but it is the pilot's toes and not the heels that need more room.

If you do the mod and find you need longer rudder cables, you can simply add some extension links at the rudder control horn.

JP

John,
    Did you use the stock return springs?

Also has anyone followed John's lead on this and flown? Is there a down side?

Kebo

I did this and it makes the pedals way more comfortable for me. I used the stock return springs

Quote Originally Posted by jtpitkin06 View Post
    I didn’t like the adjustable rudder pedals geometry as designed.

The pedal movement is fine when adjusted to the forward position. However, when the pedals are in the aft position, the movement is an awkward upward arc.

The factory placement puts the rudder torque tube 2–7/16” aft of the firewall. I relocated the torque tube at 3-1/2” aft of the firewall. The pedal geometry and movement improved significantly.

By moving the torque tubes aft about one inch, the pedal assembly rotates into a more natural position in line with the pilot’s feet. The brake pedals also rotate slightly forward. The new position reduces torque tube interference with the brake cylinders and improves the brake line clearances.

Because the brake pedals are the limiting factor, foot clearance with the pedals all the way forward remains virtually unchanged.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, TX
    What is the consensus on this? I'm building a SS7 and all ready to drill the pedal assembly in place. What dimension should I use? Thanks
    -Mike Kraus

Hi Mike, if I were you, I would do what I did and temporarily clamp the pedals in place in both locations and see which one you like more. I find with the rudder pedals closer to the pilot, the angle of your foot to your ankle is more natural. But to each his own.