Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Ride Jitters

Cool Check Ride Jitters

Folks,
    Though I've only flown in a kitfox once, I've been watchin them for 4 years now. My plan is to buy one this coming winter/next spring. I've waited because Uncle Sam is paying for my FW Ticket! I've been flying for 7 years and taking check rides every year, the "Check-itis" bug always seems to hit. I am sure many of you remember the days when you dreaded the evals, but I'm past that! Now, I simply want to do well for reputations' sake. I'm not a self-proclaimed perfectionist, nor am I the new Chuck Yeager, but my instructors have put alot of effort into making me a great pilot for my level of experience. With just at ~ 700hrs of Helicopter time and now 50 hours of Fixed-Wing, the thought of an eval is still a lingering fear! Natural, but still there. With most aviators being Type-A personalities, we never want to fail at anything we embark on. Hence the reason we've chosen the Kitfox, a perfect aircraft for perfectionists. I've checked out in a C-182, no issues. I've taken an Instrument Eval (King Air 200C) with no issues. Now it's come time for a real eval in the King Air. Even though I've been trained well, I know the information, and I can fly the aircraft without issue, I am still a bit apprehensive. Well, I'll let y'all know how things went. Thought I'd remind you all of things that you've experienced and perhaps get some "Kid, when I was taking my check-rides, I..." stories. If y'all pray, keep me and my fellow students in your prayers. When all training is said and done, I'll have up to a Multi-Engine Land, High Performance, Complex rating. It's been an awesome journey, and it can only get better from here!

VIVA LA KITFOX!
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Default Re: Check Ride Jitters

i think they call it living the dream . nobody rides for free , there has to be a price. good luck and enjoy the ride , most people dont get the opportunities you have
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Chuck,
    Thanks for the encouragement. I have, and will continue, to enjoy it! It's awesome! Perhaps, when I visit my Hometown (Wenatchee), we can meet up and you can show me your beauty? Of course, I'll have to get a rental to come over to Yelm, but it'd be worth the trip!
    Chris Holaday

Go for it !!! Its a blast I have a 5 and as of last night I have 750 hr on her what a great bird she is

I remember getting a military check one year...300' ceiling and 3/4 mile vis was required for doing proficiency sortie/touch and goes, and that's all we had. Did the PAR and engine out ILS, but checkride was going to be incomplete because we didn't have the weather for the required non-precision approaches. On radar downwind weather came up to localizer mins, so got that done, but was going to be incomplete because we couldn't get circling done. On radar downwind weather came up to circling mins, so got that done. Only needed a visual pattern to finish up...right before we called it quits the pattern opened up. Everything worked out, but it seemed to be dangerously close to working instead of flying. Life is so much easier now. Just sit back, remember your training, and know you're there because you want to be! Good luck!
    Last edited by Wiley; 07-22-2010 at 10:51 AM.

Chris, You are not alone. Every checkride I've taken- pvt, comm, flight inst, instrument, multi and aircraft specific has given me the jitters. Passed them all with no problems, but did not want to fail after all the hard work that went into them. Afterwards always wondered what I had been so uptight about- like you I knew the info, could fly the manuevers and the a/c and my trainers(instructors) thought I was ready. Relax, enjoy and pat yourself on the back when it's over- you've worked hard for it. Good Luck!!!

Dick B

Chris,
    As a former major airline instructor and Navy flight instructor I can tell you that none of the pilots I gave checks to ever slipped by the ride without some errors (OK....one). You will most likely make them . The most important advice I can give you is don't look for perfection to the point of dwelling on your mistakes, as they are going to happen! And THAT can screw up an otherwise fine checkride.(have seen it happen MANY times) Try to stay calm, keep your head, and move on.
    Did I get nervous every time I had my own checkride ? You bet your a-- I did ! It's perfectly normal
    But now, I am retired and no more checkrides... Wooopeee!!! I just fly my Kitfox around,eat lunch,airport bum, drink beer (after flying of course) See...that gives you a goal !
    You will do fine !

Gentlemen,
    It's great to hear all your stories and receive the encouraging words. I have taken, probably, four or five dozen check rides in my (7 year) flying career thus far. Everyone of them in a Helicopter up until these last three months. Things are different in an aircraft that is actually designed to fly. Maybe because it's a new way to fly, maybe because I've not had the past 7 years flying airplanes, who knows. Nevertheless, I have a perma-grin thinking about the doors opening being dual-rated; let alone, all the great places I'll see, now that I've got a bit more available speed and power to get farther! I'll post the results tomorrow night. Until then...still love to hear about other's experiences! Great stories! BTW, I've almost got Household 6 on board with buying a Series 7 SS. A bit more buttering up, taking her up and letting her fly, and a bit more saved and I'll take the leap! Y'all have some beautiful aircraft and I can't wait to join the Elite Ranks which make up the Kitfox crowd!
    Chris Holaday

Just remember that the airplane won't come to a hover without a pretty good head wind.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

HA HA! Yeah, Actually tried that in the C-182 phase and, somehow, my instructor was prepared. Thankfully, I learned to fly it into the ground instead of coming to a hover and slamming it on! Pre-test today passed to tolerances of ATP, but it'll be different tomorrow knowing it's the "real deal". Unfortunately, as fun as it is, my hovering days are over. But...the windows of opportunity continue to open. Just recently got a call about hangar space opening up real soon at a nearby airport! Time to get that Kitfox I've been dreaming of (and drooling over) for the past couple years. If I could only convince the wife sooner! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Pilot4Life; 07-23-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Chris Holaday